damaged hoist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brandon H. Let me know if you've done anything, if it's not something I could fix, I know a great fabricator in independence, looks like a pretty fairly straight-forward to me..

took the truck into the weld/machine/fab shop this morning and showed them the damage...Holy s h i t they said.. They thought they could repair it but estimated it to be around 500. We would have to remove and reinstall ourselves.

So we headed over to the shop and hoisted the bed up. Just as it came a little over half way up it nearly broke loose..A little scary but it was still holdiing. So we hooked up the overhead hoist and lifted the rest of the way off. 15 min later we had it off. We then were able to see the total damage. Wow some stuff is torqued badly..

Here are some pics...

After assessing the overall damage and then returning to the fab shop where they told me it would be at least friday before they could have it done. I decided to say screw it and order a new hoist.. Found a place on the net from Oklahoma who could get me new hoist/piston for 908 plus shipping and have it here by wed...Didn't really want to have to order the new piston b/c i don't see anything wrong w/ the current piston but the man on the phone convinced me the old piston would not mount up properly to the new hoist. something about the mounting is different w/ every different brand of hoist. Either way i'll try to mount the old one first and if it fits i'll send the new one back...

I guess your employees won't be dumping the truck while sideways on a slope anymore, huh? Lucky it collapsed the dump instead of flipping the truck. You may want to have your local welding/ fab shop look at the new hoist and see if there are any weak areas that might benefit from some reinforcement before putting it into service.
:)

sorry about the large pics. I'll make adjustment to the camera....

Yeah bummer about the new hyd cylinder...that kinda blows.. :givebeer: I fig i'll either build a splitter this season or maybe sell it to someone who will.

In regards to how this happened....I was actually there....We were sopposed to be dumping the load on top of a berm. So we backed the truck up the berm and that is where we attempted to dump. We were not off camber....However the nose of the truck was quite a bit lower than the rear do to the hill....I think this had possibly more to do w/ the damage than even the heavy load.

I also plan on checking the psi of the hyd. system. Talking w/ the manufacturer of the new hoist i purchased i was informed that even though a hyd cylinder may be rated to 2500 psi most the actual hoists are only capabable of around 1500 psi. Thereore over powered hyd system could cause this type of damage as well...This makes me think i need to test the hyd system.
I would have figured the hyd cylinder to stop trying to push before it went and bent the hoist....

Brandon when you backed up on the burm it put all the weight on the hoist rather than the rear hing and hoist. I would bet your hydraulic pressure is fine. Always try to be as level as possible when dumping.
If it had been the other way around, front higher than the back the load would have came right out. But being front down by the time the load got horizontal it was just overloaded because of the angle.
Glad to hear you will be back in service rather quickly.:cheers:

damn the fockers forgot to include the lower mounting brackets in the package.....ARGGGGG....The new hoist looks massive compared to the last one...Went w/ the 10 ton hoist versus 5 ton. Hopefully the bigger hoist doesn't cause to many issue mounting....However i can already tell i'll have to make some adjustments to the top mounting plates...They are way too large right now...

Will post pics later..

Brandon

Latest posts

Back