Damper too narrow?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehgauss

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm using a heatilator fireplace to heat my family room. I have a fireplace insert (acquired at the right price) that is in good shape. I'd like to install it in the fireplace and stop using the heatilator. The problem is that the outlet on the insert is 8" diameter, and the damper is only a shade under 6" wide. I'd like to pipe directly through the damper to a stainless liner, but am concerned that restricting the flue to 5" to get past the damper and expanding above that would affect the draw too much. How have some others dealt with this problem? The couple of stove shops I've stopped at haven't had any good suggestions.

Well, first things first: Pretty much all current woodstoves/inserts require 6" liners. If you work with what you've got you will have to retain 8" all the way. If you decide a couple of years down the road to replace your insert, you've just wasted $$ installing an 8" liner when later you will need to replace your 8" liner with a 6" liner.

Now, as to 'reducing down' - you normally can not reduce down unless the manufacturer specs say you can - because - your code authorities will require installation according to mfg specs. This is of course assuming the area you live in requires some type of code inspection - further - most homeowner's insurance companies require some type of code inspection (maybe even just a local fire department inspection approval).

Now, having said all that, you 'might' be able to ovalize 8" round liner to fit through your 6" flue and then go back to 8". Again, you can do this only if this type of install is approved by the manufacturer of your stove or insert.

Normally a flue is surrounded by a metal frame of some sort: Have you checked to see if you can sawzall the frame out to fit 8"?

Shari

Last edited:
Well, first things first: Pretty much all current woodstoves/inserts require 6" liners. If you work with what you've got you will have to retain 8" all the way. If you decide a couple of years down the road to replace your insert, you've just wasted $$ installing an 8" liner when later you will need to replace your 8" liner with a 6" liner.

Now, as to 'reducing down' - you normally can not reduce down unless the manufacturer specs say you can - because - your code authorities will require installation according to mfg specs. This is of course assuming the area you live in requires some type of code inspection - further - most homeowner's insurance companies require some type of code inspection (maybe even just a local fire department inspection approval).

Now, having said all that, you 'might' be able to ovalize 8" round liner to fit through your 6" flue and then go back to 8". Again, you can do this only if this type of install is approved by the manufacturer of your stove or insert.

Normally a flue is surrounded by a metal frame of some sort: Have you checked to see if you can sawzall the frame out to fit 8"?

Shari

good call.

and, better check with local codes..they might not approve of reducing the flue.

Back