Dang ... Englsih Holly is heavy for its size. Removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M.D. Vaden

vadenphotography.com
Reaction score
Just removed an English Holly last week. Started the week before in rain, but my gloves got too slick from the bark. Has like an algae. Finished last week. Short tree, only 10 meters tall, with three 12" to 14" trunks.

Man ... did the wood ever feel heavy for its size.

I've pruned a bunch before, mainly lower limbs. But this was the first removal. Almost had to half way prune it first, to find the grafted limbs. Otherwise the stems would not have fallen right. It was grafted trunk to trunk in at least 4 places. Sure was a tangly canopy.

Any of you in an area where you have to prune or remove these commonly?

What do you think about this tree?

We don't get them often, but sometimes. I love hollies as foundation plants, they are one of my favorite landscape plants. Not too many places to plant them, though.

Anything that grows that slow is usually pretty dense. Anything with tight a growth habit is usually pretty tangly, too. It doesn't help that all the leaves come with "stickers".

The densest wood in Missouri is the common dogwood, also the State tree.

Last edited:
English holly is quite dense. Invasive as well. I try to get people to replace with something else.

good firewood.

much better for turning. If you have a local wood turning group, they'll likely be happy as clams to have some.

Invasive? Is you nuts?

You couldn't probably find more than 500 of those plants in the entire KC area. Around here, you plant them when you buy a house, in the hopes that they will be mature when you retire and sell the house.

(mostly the landscapers plant them too close to the house, and then we have to take them out after 30 years when they finally outgrow the area they were planted in)

Invasive? Is you nuts?

You couldn't probably find more than 500 of those plants in the entire KC area. Around here, you plant them when you buy a house, in the hopes that they will be mature when you retire and sell the house.

(mostly the landscapers plant them too close to the house, and then we have to take them out after 30 years when they finally outgrow the area they were planted in)

The English Holly naturalize out here in the Portland area. Quite a few small seedlings in landscapes or forests where mature trees with berries are nearby. Seems to do well in the climate here.

The thought came to mind to save a chunk for a wood turner, but the homeowners asked for the trunk wood to be stacked.

Invasive? Is you nuts?

The maritime climate of the pacific northwest is very similar to england. Mario is in a similar climate as I am.
We have problems with invasive english holly, english ivy, blackberries, scotchbroom, reed canary grass, etc. in WA state. I've seen a 60' holly here.

You'll have different invasive plants in KC, I'm sure.

The English Holly naturalize out here in the Portland area. Quite a few small seedlings in landscapes or forests where mature trees with berries are nearby. Seems to do well in the climate here.

The thought came to mind to save a chunk for a wood turner, but the homeowners asked for the trunk wood to be stacked.

I had a couple of large hollies at a job. The Oly woodturners took every last piece that I left. I didn't feel like hauling it. Wanted to make some wood turner connections.
Images: http://images.google.com/images?gbv=2&hl=en&sa=1&q=holly+bowl&aq=f&oq=&aqi=&start=0

Turners are after monkey puzzle, too. They were almost fighting over it. interesting knots for the sides of the bowls. They usually can't get a hold of it.
I suspect that it is okay firewood. I don't know if it more resembles doug-fir, true-firs, pines.
My friend got some large logs of it milled. Didn't look so fantastic. Mostly looked like knotty pine. Pictures of bowls are really cool.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=monkey+puzzle+bowl&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Invasive? Is you nuts?

I have about 500 seedlings sprouting up in my yard, even though I took out the larger (20') stem years ago. I'm constantly pulling out these things. I hate them.

Holly twig blight is a significant disease that affects them here and there are people who will go to extraordinary efforts to save their hollies.

Back