Hello, new member from Belgium

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freeasaburt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello,

when researching chainsaw stuff I often got results pointing to this forum, and I read a lot of really useful stuff! Time to register, be able to see full size images, and, hopefully, participate.

I own a 026 and a 026c, with which I've been doing all my cutting for years, splitting is usually done by hand. I 've cut trees with them that were way wider than the blade long... Takes some time but you learn a thing or two in the process. It takes its toll on the saw of course, and I'm considering buying a 3xx or 4xx Stihl for the heavier work.
Not that that happens often, (non-protected) trees don't often get the chance here to grow really tall before they are cut... We definitely don't have the huge trees you see in e.g. the States, or way less in any case. There are some of course, like in privately owned woodlands. Most of my work is cutting trees that went down in a storm, dead trees, and pest species like Black Cherry (had to look that up, we call it 'American bird cherry' here, if literally translated).

Last week I bought a 064 with 660 cylinder/piston, a 'chinese quality' mill, a 90cm (36") Oregon blade and a few chains. I cut a quite big cherry tree (75cm diameter) a few months ago, it had to go, and would like to try and make a table out of it...
Before that however i'm gonna be cutting some quite decent sized spruce trees, that the drought and bark beetle got to, for 'milling practice'. Wood is dead but as it's just spruce i guess i should be fine...

Of course I can simply use the 064 for all heavy work but that takes its toll on me :D . That saw is also a bit of a b*tch to start, looots of compression, no decomp valve... Trying to drop start it has been, as of now, unsuccesfull :innocent:.

Hey...
Pull the top and see if it has a decomp plug it it.
You need a hot ms362Mtron V2 or an MS400. 462 if you have the money or can find one. 461 is good choice for longer bars or a 572xp. The 4 and 5 series saws can handle up to a 28 but work better with a 24" bar. I forget the centimeters.
Long day little sleep. Food and sleep is imminent.

Used, any mean 034 like mine or an 036/360.
All the 4 series but the 441 parts are available.

Thanks for the advice!
Didn't remove the top plastic cover yet, didn't realise it might as well have the hole, with a plug in it. Up untill now I only removed the air filter and exhaust for some quick inspection.

Will keep an eye open on the second hand market, from time to time. I heard about the 441 parts, so I'll stay clear of those.

I took the top cover off the 064 and it has the hole for a decomp valve indeed :) . Thanks, great advice!

I think I'm not gonna butcher the original top cover by drilling a hole in it, an aftermarket (Farmertec or whatever) cover seems more interesting.

I guess the "OEM vs AM" question comes up a lot, but does anyone have any experience with AM decomp valves, are they worth looking into? No idea what a genuine decomp valve costs, maybe it's not a lot at all, I should contact a local dealer.

Latest posts

Back