Dang squirrels! Help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Couple problems here:

1. Squirrels are eating the fruit from our fruit trees. It seems to help when we put flashing around the trunk where they can't climb up, but some trees are near a fence where they can jump.

2. Black walnut tree in my front yard - I'd love to wrap flashing around that trunk, but the branches overlap other trees, and I'd have to wrap every tree and telephone pole in town because of the overlap. They make such a huge mess with those walnuts.

3. Not allowed to fire a weapon that exceeds 750 fps. No pellet/bb/air gun under 750 fps does any damage to a squirrel. Lots of houses nearby, and it's risky if you miss or ricochet.

4. Haven't tried poison yet, but don't know what to do without hurting my daughter's cats.

I managed to trap/eliminate all the raccoons that were troubling us - 6 altogether. But these darn squirrels are really getting numerous now that the neighborhood cat lady passed away.

Couple problems here:

1. Squirrels are eating the fruit from our fruit trees. It seems to help when we put flashing around the trunk where they can't climb up, but some trees are near a fence where they can jump.

2. Black walnut tree in my front yard - I'd love to wrap flashing around that trunk, but the branches overlap other trees, and I'd have to wrap every tree and telephone pole in town because of the overlap. They make such a huge mess with those walnuts.

3. Not allowed to fire a weapon that exceeds 750 fps. No pellet/bb/air gun under 750 fps does any damage to a squirrel. Lots of houses nearby, and it's risky if you miss or ricochet.

4. Haven't tried poison yet, but don't know what to do without hurting my daughter's cats.

I managed to trap/eliminate all the raccoons that were troubling us - 6 altogether. But these darn squirrels are really getting numerous now that the neighborhood cat lady passed away.
Paintball gun the **** out of them.

Rat Traps, 2 x 4, and Peanut Butter.
If you got some place where the "Nosey" neighbor cant see....
Then get yourself some Rat Traps from a farm supply store. They work just like Mouse Traps they are just much larger.
Take a 2 x 4 and lean it on the tree at about a 45 degree angle. Attach the Rat Trap to the 2 x 4 ( Trigger Downhill )
and bate with Peanut Butter.

Works like a charm.... Wath out for the nosey neighbor if you have one.

David

From what I understand there is no magic spray, powder or anything else to keep away tree rats. If there are no barn cats around, Havahart squirrel traps are probably your best bet.

have you tried cutting the trees down yet???, or maybe implementing round the clock security using your slav...I mean children?
if you go the "children" route I would suggest a minimum of two out there at all times...those squirrels can be pretty sneaky...one squirrel could be a distraction while the other is stealing the fruit

I seem to remember a trick using a barrel of water, fill it 80 % put stuff in it that floats like acorns, or peanut butter float, then they drown.

Beeman/Weihrauch HW97K in .22 cal or a Beeman RX-2 in .25cal will easily do the job and not exceed 750fps. The rx-2 is reported to be difficult to shoot well. The hw97k is easily capable of ¼” groups at 60ft.

I have had good luck with McCormick ground red pepper as a squirrel repellent but I have never tried to use it on a tree. Local squirrels decimate my pear trees every year but I really don’t like pears so they are more than welcome to them. The usually start eating them green. They actually chew them open and eat just the seeds. They usually don’t bother with the apples or plums as the hickory trees are usually in full production. I have never seen them go after the black walnuts until late fall after they hit the ground. They are a pain to rake up so the rodents can have them as well.

You could try the electronic rat zapper type traps. Plenty lethal and might be a better approach than poison.

Latest posts

Back