Danger Danger... advice sought.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, no, no!!! You never leave your Donettos unattended. If you leave them in the woods the squirrels will get them. Or maybe a Forester.
If you leave them on the landing the landing rats will get them. Won't be anything left but a soggy little piece of cardboard where they licked all the residual chocolate and crumbs off.

Guard your Donettos with your life.

Eh don't leave nothing on the landing ....esp ya caulks as when ya go back to get em ya might juss find those fine upstanding men on the landing have left ya a wee present in them lol.........and it won't be the missing donettos lol

No, no, no!!! You never leave your Donettos unattended. If you leave them in the woods the squirrels will get them. Or maybe a Forester.
If you leave them on the landing the landing rats will get them. Won't be anything left but a soggy little piece of cardboard where they licked all the residual chocolate and crumbs off.

Guard your Donettos with your life.

what the hel are donettos being saved for later for? They don't get better with age...:hmm3grin2orange:

now skoal or Copenhagen maybe...:dizzy:

Twinkies and Donettos have a shelf life roughly equivalent to nuclear waste. When I sold my last pickup I was cleaning out under the seats and found a half eaten package of Donettos. They weren't bad...just scraped a little dust and crud off. Not bad at all. The chocolate was a little dry and discolored but that's all.

Twinkies and Donettos have a shelf life roughly equivalent to nuclear waste. When I sold my last pickup I was cleaning out under the seats and found a half eaten package of Donettos. They weren't bad...just scraped a little dust and crud off. Not bad at all. The chocolate was a little dry and discolored but that's all.

Well they do say waste not want not lol...........

lol.

The most important thing.....you walked away unhurt .............saws ya can replace human life ya can't........I ain't gonna say anything my friend as I wasn't the one standing below it and any advice really is just theoretical when you ain't there......

Again your safe and there always another day and another stick to fall

That's not much of an option either, in a logging area. You'd at least need to flag the tree and let everybody know that you'd left it. People have to work in the area. Of course, the other uses of danger flagging sometimes make it easy to ignore, like using it to flag where you left your box of donettos, or where you hid the elk shed, or ...

He did fine, despite ignoring my warning of camera effects.

I don't get it. If the tree is so dangerous and able to drop slabs on you so viciously that even with a spotter, taking the power head off is too dangerous, but it is proper to head back to it, saw on it a bunch a pound a few wedges into it, just to avoid leaving a hazard for a few hours? If with no breeze it moved that much, there's got to be decent chance a small breeze will pop up and blow it over. Wouldn't the other loggers understand needing to stay away and not fault you for wanting to see what happened? This is not a critique of Northman, I just honestly don't understand. I also can't believe I'm arguing logging on a thread with Bob, Randy, Kid, Pac, Busted, Slowp, TS, NM etc.. I don't even know what the #### Donettos are for God's sake! Officially back to observing and "liking" on this thread. Thanks for u'r patience:cheers:

I don't get it. If the tree is so dangerous and able to drop slabs on you so viciously that even with a spotter, taking the power head off is too dangerous, but it is proper to head back to it, saw on it a bunch a pound a few wedges into it, just to avoid leaving a hazard for a few hours? If with no breeze it moved that much, there's got to be decent chance a small breeze will pop up and blow it over. Wouldn't the other loggers understand needing to stay away and not fault you for wanting to see what happened? This is not a critique of Northman, I just honestly don't understand. I also can't believe I'm arguing logging on a thread with Bob, Randy, Kid, Pac, Busted, Slowp, TS, NM etc.. I don't even know what the #### Donettos are for God's sake! Officially back to observing and "liking" on this thread. Thanks for u'r patience:cheers:

Dude, I wouldn't sweat the arguing...yer not really arguing anyway. Had the tree not been moving at all...I would have grabbed my saw wrench and had the power head and running for the hills...then if the tree was still standing, gone back with the 460 and seen what could be done to alleviate the potential danger. Husk, for me, if it was my brand new 660 (that i havent received yet) and my boss had just dropped $1,200 for it, I would have got the power head off. Had it been my own personal saw..I may have left it but most likely not.

I stress the fact that the circumstances would have to lean my way or I would leave the saw...well it is sad but my little family would be better off with cashing in my $250,000 life insurance policy. As hard as I work, I will never be able to provide an excellent living for Heather and Colt...and "that" is a sad reality my friend.

There are people who wander around logging units sometimes after the crew has vacated the units. These people are often called foresters. If the ground is not so steep that rolling logs are a hazard, foresters will hop and skip throught the unit checking stuff. Like falling. Now, if you left the tree setting back and the wind blew it over and there was an unattended forester in the way, did they make a sound? Think about it.
Plus there are OSHA rules about leaving hangups behind.

My neighbor calls it "sattin back".

They do make squirrel proof containers for Donettos, so you could leave them with the fire extinguisher and shovel. :msp_tongue:

that POS started moving, splitting and sitting back at about 3:40 on the tape and continued to grow. we are only looking at 1 dimension on the tape btw. the powerhead is stuck on the same side as the split, (not sure I would have went after it either) however powerhead be damned (your (generally speaking) committed to mitigate the hazard. fortunately it came down and it appears NM and the saw got little more than some bark buffing and a shorts check.

I give NM props for posting a hazard vid with the aftermath.

dam right Rob, i wish i could double like some stuff. i realized after my first comment, this was the split tree. there is a better pic early on in this thread that will make this clearer. i have left saws. self preservation takes over. Clint ol buddy, i gaurentee you are more important to ya family than that. i will give you a saw, jus don't die for one guys. Jon, it is illiegal for us to leave a tree half cut or hanging.

Jon, it is illiegal for us to leave a tree half cut or hanging.

I was only talking about leaving it for a few hrs to see, but I still don't get thinking a saw is not worth dying for, but thinking a governmental regulation is. If the tree was that unstable, it would fall, if not head back in a couple of hours. I totally understand not leaving it to fall on some hikers.

could be one of them crazy logger things i guess Jon. really the best would be to just leave those, but some times it in the deal to put those down.

I do understand that:cheers:

It's a situation that requires immediate attention, not referencing NM here, but you do what you have too to get the hazard down. Sure leaving and getting help is an option, radio or calling in higher up on the list.
I look at like , ok my mess not leaving till I absolutely have too, not risking getting someone or something taken out on my mess.

Last edited:
I was only talking about leaving it for a few hrs to see, but I still don't get thinking a saw is not worth dying for, but thinking a governmental regulation is. If the tree was that unstable, it would fall, if not head back in a couple of hours. I totally understand not leaving it to fall on some hikers.

To put it in perspective, the big fir next to it could probably buy me two more saws... so yeah leave it.

don't sweat it, I sold my first 066, I'll probably end up selling this one too, the basket case and the new 461 are the ones I might hang on to out of sentimentality... being the first new saw and the saw I built my business on.

None of em are worth dying for.:msp_wink:

Jon, it is illiegal for us to leave a tree half cut or hanging.

The way I read this regulation (I've run afoul of it with a hanger or two myself) is that if a tree is unstable on its own, no biggie, but if I touch it, I'm responsible for it. That said, push-falling it with another tree, or equipment, or blasting it down, or whatever it takes, if we start the process we have to see it to the ground. I think this is reasonable. As for killing a saw or two now and then, them's the breaks. I haven't yet busted anything I couldn't fix, but my turn is surely coming. It's only a matter of time.

Pardon the shakeyness, the thumbnail shows the offside best though. wasn't meant to be a heres what happened on my crappy tree falling vid, more a this is what I did yo...

[video=youtube_share;zL_U8RjlNRA]http://youtu.be/zL_U8RjlNRA[/video]

Back