Daydreaming about tuned pipes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tons of cleanup, alignment, finish welding, and adding mounts left to do, but I managed to find a couple hours to get everything mocked up. The pipe is just hanging off the stock bolts in the photos, so the alignment isn't exact.

I'll be capping the end and adding a center dump stinger, which seems like the best route from both a noise and compactness standpoint. But that will have to wait until another day (after the holidays in all likelihood).

Attachments

• chainsaw pipe 7.jpg
    chainsaw pipe 7.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Chainsaw pipe 5.jpg
    Chainsaw pipe 5.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 48
  • chainsaw pipe 6.jpg
    chainsaw pipe 6.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 45
Tons of cleanup, alignment, finish welding, and adding mounts left to do, but I managed to find a couple hours to get everything mocked up. The pipe is just hanging off the stock bolts in the photos, so the alignment isn't exact.

I'll be capping the end and adding a center dump stinger, which seems like the best route from both a noise and compactness standpoint. But that will have to wait until another day (after the holidays in all likelihood).
Looking good can't wait for the first fire up vid and tuned cuts vids

Well don't rush it trying to rush on a 1 off project gets very nerve-wracking

YES, do make a heat shield around the cylinder to funnel the air flow around it.. Just about cooked mine the first time out without it

Well don't rush it trying to rush on a 1 off project gets very nerve-wracking
This one has gone pretty easily really. Getting the alignment right was less work than I anticipated. finish welding should be the easy part.

YES, do make a heat shield around the cylinder to funnel the air flow around it.. Just about cooked mine the first time out without it
Think I've taken care of that with the muffler shaped mounting flange, but I'm going to take a careful look to see if I need to block off the areas that would have been covered by the sides of the muffler as well (If so, I'll handle it with an Alu. shroud).

By the way, I've been meaning to ask about the range of tuned length on the various pipes that people are running. I know it's going to vary from pipe to pipe and saw to saw, but I'm just curious.

IMG_0846-L.jpg

IMG_0844-L.jpg

390_2-L.jpg
Is that one of your race saws, or top o the line work saws. Just the new guy lookin 4 attention

Very interesting thread. I started a motorcycle shop 50 years ago and made custom exhaust for at least 20 years then got hired by a corporation to tune. A two stroke is not a motor until the exhaust is fitted to the cylinder. The biggest improvement for pretty much any two stroke is the exhaust. Whenever I have any reason to tear down a saw the muffler gets opened and enlarged as much as there is room. As far as a tuned pipe for a production saw not too practical but allowing the motor to breathe a bit better will yield much improvement. A professionally tuned 80cc motor could produce 30BHP without much effort, but it would not be compact, quiet, smooth or without constant tuning to get your logs cut open. In my case I am happy to get a better breathing work horse that is manageable. Thanks

Being your talking 50 years ago starting out, what about adding reeds and a boost bottle with the pipe?

Is that one of your race saws, or top o the line work saws. Just the new guy lookin 4 attention

That’s a serious saw. It demands attention look at it......its a sick looking machine,

I’m surprised no one has taken a Swedish Husqvarna dirtbike engines from the mid 70’s to ‘84 air cooled and made a sick saw out of it. A 390cc / 420cc / 430cc / 500cc ?.

Being your talking 50 years ago starting out, what about adding reeds and a boost bottle with the pipe?

Few people are going to invest into a super powerful winning saw to bring home a plastic trophy. I am not interested. If I was guaranteed $500 and a first place trophy every time I went out I most likely would not be interested. The long travel time the late nights of working all night to get ready for an event has me quite burnt out on such ordeals as well as many that have been very successful. If one were to build a really hot rod race saw they would likely start from scratch with out worrying about the cost. A 50cc saw could produce an easy 45 bhp which is about eight times more powerful than a good running MS 660. A piston port or a rotary valve would produce a big output for a small displacement. A added reed induction or boost probably would not add much to the output unless one needed a little extra torque or wider power band. And a liquid cooled motor could not be beat for total dramatic output. Thanks

The loggers here had fun at the local country fairs speed cutting. It was a show for the fair goers.

I’m surprised the manufacturers haven’t added more of a tuned pipe than a muffler by itself. The pipe can curly que around were the muffler is now and be attached to the clutch cover. The clutch cover can be detachable from the pipe. Much like a dump truck with the exhaust heated body. Just a short expansion chamber shaped rectangular to the clutch cover. Anything over the square muffler that does nothing. Redesign the saw around the performance pipe.

Back