dead leaves on Bartlett Pear tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFNeumann

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Bartlett Pear tree that is about 5 years old. Over the last 2 years the leaves turn brown early on some branches. Here is what it looks like today:

It looks to me like fireblight, but this isn't really the right time of year for a erwinina amylovora infection to be showing symptoms.

Can we get a close up pic or 3 of the branches with the dead leaves?

We should also be able to see the root flare of the tree, so if possible, clear the mulch back six inches or so from the base of the trunk and take another pic if you don't mind.

Still can't confirm or deny fireblight from the pics, but as deeply as it's buried, and symptomatic at this time of year instead of spring, fireblight is (hopefully) unlikely.

I think you may want to excavate this one some more, looking for girdling roots as the possible cause of the limb dieback, and trying to find out how deep the structural roots are buried. Go slow and careful, try not to damage any of the roots that will be staying in place.

Nutrients aren't going to help.

Sure looks like fireblight.

That's definately what it looks like...but I don't think I've ever seen blighted limbs holding onto their leaves this late into the season....not saying it doesn't happen, just that I've not seen it.

Maybe go back for more pics again, this time focusing on the woody stems of the dead limbs, looking for small sunken cankers, and shriveling of the twig tips.

Just thinking/wondering here...

Is it possible for a bloom to become infected in the spring, and carry the infection through most of the growing season before becoming symptomatic?

Is it possible for a bloom to become infected in the spring, and carry the infection through most of the growing season before becoming symptomatic?

No its not. Fire Blight would manifest itself LONG before this. The bacteria (even in a primary infection, prior to canker formation) moves quickly, the effects would be visable within a couple of weeks. It seems to me that this is a case of root suffocation due to deep planting or girdled roots, etc.

P.S. By the way, a VERY nice group of posts!!! Well said!!!

Also, when the pears were growing, all of a sudden they started to shrink and shrivel up (first attached image on theis reply).

The leaves have the same brown spots (or appears the same) as the birch tree (see the birch tree thread) had this spring.

Could it be the lovely soil here in Ohio?

For what it is worth, in previous years we have tried growing other types of trees (white dogwood, lilacs, several pine from saplings) and they failed.

Also, would lawn tretment cause any thing like this?

07076.jpg.

I tried to quote the original post but it only quoted the verbage, not the image link. It's the closeup of the base of the tree after the homeowner removed mulch and possibly some soil. 4th post in this thread.

07076.jpg.

I tried to quote the original post but it only quoted the verbage, not the image link. It's the closeup of the base of the tree after the homeowner removed mulch and possibly some soil. 4th post in this thread.

I do not see anything on the lower right, but, I do see something center just below the soil line. I will zoom in tomorrow.

Back