Dead Leaves on Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are any other oak trees in the neighborhood doing the same as yours? Are there any other signs of trouble? (dead branches, ant infestation, bark falling off, soft spots or rotting sections)

blueridge said:
thanks for all your helpfull information :angry:
cmon blue, don't be blue. As it stands, you put little info in and got little info out. If we have pictures to look at or more detail we may help more. ps did you even look up "oak tatters"?

This forum is quite active and there is just a handful of guys that try to answer questions, for free, by the way.
I read your question and couldn't think of what would cause these symptoms, mostly because of the color, "almost black". If they were just dying because of root damage, or drought, I'd expect yellowing or browning. Black makes me think it might be some kind of fungus. Fungal spores are often black, and large amounts of spore would make the leaf look black.
The only thing I can think of is Anthracnose, but that's indicated by leaves on the lower parts of the tree turning brown and doing some curling, in bad cases then loosing the leaves.
I didn't respond because I was hoping an arborist from your area might check in with better information.
You will also get better responses if you could post pictures. A close up of a leaf and of the whole tree.
Also look at other trees in the area for the same symptoms. Can you find it on other Oaks? How about other species of tree?
You might also take a sample into you local university horticultural agent, or just ask a local arborist. Some will look for free, others may have a small charge.

Back