Dead Locust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still cannot figure out how it is possible that locust can grow so fast and yet be as dense as oak and produce about the same heat content in BTU/Lb. It's also rather easy to split green and dries rather quickly for use as firewood. And, it has good rot resistance and is disease free. It's truly an amazing species with thornless and podless varieties available. You have to wonder why more of it isn't around or being harvested as a fuelwood.
More valuable as fence posts and split fence.

images (1).jpg download.jpg download.jpg

Stuff takes 40+ years to rot.y in-laws have a barn with 100 year old locusts posts. I love locust as a fuel wood too. Much more money as a fence though

Yep, but it is really fun with a Fiskars. I still have a pile f about 12 cord in theround I cut about 6 years ago. Be splitting some of it this winter just to get the blood flowing again in the mornings.

It splits easy green, when dry it almost falls apart by looking at it.

Harry K

I've often thought about milling up locust into boards that will last as long or longer than pressure treated lumber and be a lot more attractive. I wonder if anyone has ever built a deck out of locust lumber or used it for siding? If it splits that easy there may be problems nailing the stuff, however. But it does seem to be hard and tough wood from my firewood experiences with it. It puts out just as much heat as oak or hickory.

I've often thought about milling up locust into boards that will last as long or longer than pressure treated lumber and be a lot more attractive. I wonder if anyone has ever built a deck out of locust lumber or used it for siding? If it splits that easy there may be problems nailing the stuff, however. But it does seem to be hard and tough wood from my firewood experiences with it. It puts out just as much heat as oak or hickory.
It can be processed into wood for decks, but it's best to have a sawmill rip it to thickness and shoot for quartersawn boards. I used quartersawn white oak, random widths, for my deck floor and it worked very well. However, you have to drill it and use screws. Locust would act about the same. Tough, dense stuff and very good rot resistance, I'll never forget carrying those 5/4 quartersawn boards up the deck stairs.

The Locust Borer killed black locust all over Easstern Washington starting about 20 years ago. I lucked out into clear cutting several groves, one of them 10 acres. These were big trees, up to 30" dbh. There is another grove still to be harvested only a few miles from myhouse, about 5 acres. Guy will not let it go. "She (probably sister) loved those trees and doesn't want them cut" - I check after every storm, it is about time for them to start coming down...

I thing the borer invasion has ceased as I have seen no new damage in several years now.

Black Locusst is an imported species here, only place you see them is around farmsteads planted bythe settlers around the turn of the century.

Harry K
Does the locust borer work on honey locust too? If so I'd be interested in a few boxes. PM for shipping address. ..

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

More valuable as fence posts and split fence.

View attachment 470844 View attachment 470845 View attachment 470846

Stuff takes 40+ years to rot.y in-laws have a barn with 100 year old locusts posts. I love locust as a fuel wood too. Much more money as a fence though
In the future, you're going to want to take the bark off those posts before you set them. Black locust bark is normally somewhat loose anyway, and as thick as it is, it will make your posts loose when it comes off.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

If you cut that locust when it's relatively young and still alive, that bark will stay on those posts for many, many years!

If you cut that locust when it's relatively young and still alive, that bark will stay on those posts for many, many years!
You talking about black locust? Any time I've seen it at a decent size for posts, about half of the bark is peeled off before you get them drug out. And it had that thick, rough bark. We leave the bark on hedge, but never locust. Up side is that it comes off fairly easy with an axe or spade

I just threw two locust logs into my wood stove. That stuff is one of the best firewood species that here is. Too bad there is not more of it available. Why on earth are not more men farming it for fuelwood? Locust is packed with heat.

Back