Dead Maple removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KentuckySawyer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a dead Sugar Maple to bid, that is located in a backyard with very limited access. The tree is maybe 50' tall and wide, and 32" abh. 85% of the branches are dead. The apex of the tree is the worst (of course) with no twigs and bark falling off down to 5-6" diameter wood. The limbs over/towards the customers house/fence and the neighboors house/deck, still have the twigs. There a couple of live lower limbs.
Its about 105' from the base of the trunk to the alley, where a medium sized crane could sit (26 ton winch, 100' main boom, 40' jib). A neighboors yard where a small crane (16 ton winch, 60' boom) is 45-50' away. The larger crane might be able to rotate some material out to the alley, but if I were to use the smaller crane I'm thinking it would only be for me to tie in to, while I rope the limbs to the tree itself.
Or do I just climb it and rope it. No trees around to work from. No speedline. Could maybe cut and pitch with a small JLG type lift, but I've never used one and don't know the limitations. It would have to be less than 7.5' wide to access yard.
Sorry, no camera hence no photos.

Ken-I recently cut down a co-dom bigleaf maple that was about 90' tall and spread about 30'. I climbed it, got a bull rope in it, undercut, sucked it up with my 4x4 that had my tirfor on the front bumper tied to the bullrope. Then I tirfed it up a lot after blocking my truck and went for the backcut. It went over, breaking off 6"" of mostly rotten holding wood. This tree was alive and flowering, with just a few dead branches, it rattled me about how rotten it was. It looked pretty good but exploded on impact. I was glad that I wrapped it with a chain and tightened the chain with a 'binder above my face height. I like the sound of moving around from a crane, cutting small pieces, be carefull, good luck.

Latest posts

Back