Dead Tree Tops: Satellite Image > Straight Line ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M.D. Vaden

vadenphotography.com
Reaction score
A lady called me to look at 3 Douglas fir trees in the woods across a brook from her house today. They are the homeowners association forest. 2 other arborists have seen them and said to remove them - I agree. Maybe 70 to 90 years old, about 130 feet tall, with conks up most of the length of the trunks. Actually, I said to keep the small one, seeing not conks decay or problems. Other than minimal lean, probably due to shade on one side.

Anyhow, I could barely see the upper trunks through the foliage, looking for topping or damage. But noticed a dead top nearby. Went up the hill to the other neighborhood, and ain't no way topping would have helped a view any time in past decades. Someone I suspect that some activity from years gone by, or some hidden condition, may be to blame.

But the dead tops stuck in my head - of the other tree or trees. So I went home and loaded Google Earth. Zooming in, 4 dead tops jumped right out. There is a top or two some blocks away, but near this address in those woods uphill, it struck me as very coincidental that all 4 dead tops are almost in a strsight line, all about the same distance above the brook and all on the same hillside, set down low in the small valley.

I'm not so much seeking an answer for this one, just wondering if anyone has looked at satellite images before, and noticed patterns like this or other.

But if you wanted to take a wild stab at this, go for it. Remember, the dead tops are not the 3 trees I went to see. They are right next to one of the two middle red arrows, which means they are in line with the dead top trees.

attachment.php

attachment.php

not arborist related but foresters use air photos all the time. mother nature doesnt draw straight lines. so if you can pick out a straight line in the woods its probably somthing man made. its a great way to pick out property lines.

of course transferring that info from the photo to the ground can be a challenge....

Im my experience dead trees in a line have been a stream that has eroded the bank, an atv, 4x4, skidder trail which has caused root / tree damage also a rock face where the tree has out grown its environment

its interesting that its in a straight line in a urban environment any underground utilities gas line ?

BC

Im my experience dead trees in a line have been a stream that has eroded the bank, an atv, 4x4, skidder trail which has caused root / tree damage also a rock face where the tree has out grown its environment

its interesting that its in a straight line in a urban environment any underground utilities gas line ?

BC

When we moved to Beaverton in 1963, the population was merely 7000 or so, rather than 90,000. That area was all countryside even as late as 1980. It's been logged for certain. I grew up about 2 miles from there, and there were 8' diameter Douglas fir stumps in our back woods.

It is as likely as anything that a skidder could have been there. About 40' to 50' up and away from the seasonal brook.

skidder damage is usually from active logging or logging that has taken place in the last 5 years

how close are the trees clustered ? 10 to 15 feet apart more ?

skidder damage is usually from active logging or logging that has taken place in the last 5 years

how close are the trees clustered ? 10 to 15 feet apart more ?

A few like the 2 which should be removed, are 8 feet apart. Others are 50 feet apart or so.

Latest posts

Back