dead tree ??????????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
her ex worked at Alamagordo, she still has land at Rio Rancho, threatened to go for Balloonfest but nevr happened. Have another friend with a place at Cloudcroft, like to go shoot some of his elk if NM non-res license were not sucha hassle and $$$$$$$$$$

Yeah Cloudcroft is where I spend most of my time! Beautiful country. Giant world class elk, and they are plenty proud of them. It's expensive for resident hunters, not to mention an act of congress to score a tag. Gonna eat some elk steak this weekend as a matter of fact :) Had some oryx steaks couple nights ago, but prefer elk.

edit: elk is pretty good eating, but not as good a northern whitetail. A Wisconsin yearling doe is the best wild meat you can get, period. Even the deer I grew up eating in Ohio, though better than elk, aren't as good as the grain fed deer in WI.

OT: I find it interesting that you think whitetail baetter eating than elk. Typically in the west, whitetails are considered a nuisance and the locals prefer mule deer or elk. An outfitter in Alberta feeds his clients kills to his wolves, and grudginly eats elk. His preference it for beef. After butchering numerous whitetails over the years, I can tell you beef feels greasy to the touch compared to venison. Its hard to beat fresh backstraps!

As for walnut, it varies considerably. I've milled eastern black walnut that has varied from deep, dark brown/black to almost greenish. It depends upon where it was grown. I've seen locally grown (Pa) English that was fabulous, and others that was pathetic. I think Claro the best bang for the buck for figure and curl. I've bought "Oregon Black" from Goby Walnut in Oregon and have been amazed at how beautiful some of it is.

Bastogne is a crossbreed variety of walnut that grows quickly, is very dense, and can have beautiful figure and color. English/French/Turkish is all of the "thin shell" variety vs the "thick shell" that we have domestically. It all varies in density, color and figure as does any other wood. Gunstock makers like the "thin shell" varieties because they cut well without splintering, and generally have thighter pores.

OT: I find it interesting that you think whitetail baetter eating than elk. Typically in the west, whitetails are considered a nuisance and the locals prefer mule deer or elk. An outfitter in Alberta feeds his clients kills to his wolves, and grudginly eats elk. His preference it for beef. After butchering numerous whitetails over the years, I can tell you beef feels greasy to the touch compared to venison. Its hard to beat fresh backstraps!

Yeah elk is the preference here, and whitetails are blamed for ruining the habitat for elk. After living here for almost 8 years & eating the local critters, I have pretty much concluded that folks here simply like their native species & base their preferences of flavor off of that. Elk certainly tastes better than mule deer, and I suspect local whitetail taste about like the mulies as they share the same diet. Oryx tastes like bland beef to me. I'm not a trophy hunter, either. I hunt for meat, and choose my game appropriately. The last time I shot anything with antlers was several years ago in Ohio where I shot a small buck for my niece. She needed a cape for the buck she shot in the head. Around here my favorite meat is jack rabbit, believe it or not. Mild flavor & tender. But the best I have ever had period is WI whitetail. I avoid beef if I can have wild meat instead.

I think body condition and local diet influence the taste most. MS deer used to taste like pine needles, I suspect mulies taste like sagebrush. I understand elk are mostly grazers and not browsers. I hunt horns and I have eaten BIG bucks that tasted fine, small ones that did not. Showing your deer to all your buds in a tri state area on a 60 degree day does not help either

I think body condition and local diet influence the taste most. Showing your deer to all your buds in a tri state area on a 60 degree day does not help either

That's key. I butcher mine while still steaming. It cools down while I'm rinsing the blood & hair off, then immediately gets vacuum packed & frozen. I am cutting & rinsing while my wife is vacuum packing. No waiting, no hanging, nothing. From the time that animal hits the ground from being shot, it's no more than 2-3hrs. before it's in the freezer as packages of meat.

Back