Dead Trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laynes69

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Was just wondering what to look for as far as dead trees? How can I tell, obviously the ones missing the bark are, but how else?

...seeing as you're in ohio, as am i, we've got a lot of good dead wood here.

good ol' elm. this stuff isn't really ready 'till the bark's comin' off.

osage orange (hedge apple). is never "over". worked a big one up that had been down for 8 years. you'd never know it.

locust, same shelf life as hedge.

sycamore seems to hold up well, also.

old cherry, red oak, birch, beech, been down awhile, take a cut at the base. junk there, junk everywhere. sometimes you can get up from the base a ways before it turns to crap.

walnut kinda goes punky from the outside in, for some reason. i've found it still has heat value if the dark "vein" is solid.

the old lift test. you buck a piece, you know what it should weigh. feels like balsa wood? probably is.

i cut a lotta dead wood, as you can tell. i maintain a lotta of the farms around here. now, i let my saw tell me. if it falls through, or even starts to, i move on. there's entirely too much of it to waste my time deciding if it's worth it or not.

Last edited:
Im from northcentral ohio. See my problem is I burn wood like alot of people, but I dont want to remove too many live trees, or any at that matter. I want the woods around me to yield wood for years to come so I depend on ice storms, lightning, or wind damage to drop the trees. I am getting to the point that I am ready to start looking for more wood to cut from. Im just about finished with the live trees that fell 2 years ago and I will be looking for more wood to cut, i now only have about 3 cords and I need around 3 to 5 more to burn. Should I wait for the leaves to come on then look for the ones without the leaves? See I am just not sure.

.....well, the ones without leaves that are standing won't be ready 'till next year, but, seein' how it's 70 degrees, well.............

that being said, weather and ice storms knock trees over. then they die.

if you're waiting for trees to bud or not, 'cause of an ice storm, well, you're gonna hafta find a bigger woodlot to work.

and believe me, there's a ton of 'em.

i can't keep up. i swear, clearin' fence rows around here for the property owners keeps me in firewood for a lifetime. and i sell a bunch. it's all about gettin' after it. ain't fun work, fer sure. and i hate destoyin' habitat. but, if i didn't do it, the old guy would do it himself, and more than likely hurt himself. there. that's my justification.

Back