Dealing with nails

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johndeereg

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just curious if there are any tips out there for dealing with nails. Had a huge tree taken down in our yard and I've hit a couple nails that really kill the chain. I can't think of any other way of dealing with them unless I had a 30" hacksaw blade haha. Other than trying to keep one beater chain any other tips?

Small handheld metal detector does wonders or any detector really. Handheld ones are typically used for finding bird shot in birds, I have seen the same unit marketed towards wood

Way back when I bought my lumber wizard it was said it would find metal 5" deep in wood . It uses a 9v battery and has a blinking light that let's you know it is on and sampling .
Scott
5" is a real stretch for that thing, imo. I've caught metal down a couple inches but that's about it. still, a great little detector.

Having done residential tree work for almost 40 years I've developed an ability to 'smell' nails. (I wish!)

There are often clues in the bark of the tree. Clues as to where a tree is located in the yard, etc. Backyard trees are notorious for containing 'tramp' metal. The hanging of hammocks, thermometers, lucky horseshoes, etc. Looks for signs of old electric fences, regular fences, etc.

I've hit nails hundreds of time and try to lean a little form each experience.

A nightmare time to hit tramp metal is during a precision fell near valuable targets while making the back cut.

Having done residential tree work for almost 40 years I've developed an ability to 'smell' nails. (I wish!)

There are often clues in the bark of the tree. Clues as to where a tree is located in the yard, etc. Backyard trees are notorious for containing 'tramp' metal. The hanging of hammocks, thermometers, lucky horseshoes, etc. Looks for signs of old electric fences, regular fences, etc.

I've hit nails hundreds of time and try to lean a little form each experience.

A nightmare time to hit tramp metal is during a precision fell near valuable targets while making the back cut.
I have only hit nails on two occasions. I also hit bullets and maple sugar taps.
In most cases you can tell by defects in the bark, but at other times you cant.

Latest posts

Back