Dearly Beloved, I am in the deepest of doo doos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackbnimble

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have an old 044, or it has me. I am attempting to replace the ignition coil. I have watched numerous instructional videos on how to do it. I have read numerous articles as well. I was hopeful I could accomplish this replacement without destroying the saw.
I was all ready to put the new coil in, attach the wires to the shut off switch and to ground it. The shut off mechanism on this 044 consists of two small male prongs. The wire I purchased with the coil kit has a half inch long pencil lead thin, round "pin" and of course not the two female "clips" that connect to the kill switch. On the clearest images of 044 models I found online they show a round opening into which a "pin" slides and apparently snaps into place. Also, I can't find the opening in the air filter-carburetor "box" through which to run the wire, either. The one I removed was so frayed I couldn't tell exactly where it went through into the box.
I will gladly pay you a $1,000,000 Tuesday to the first person who can straighten out my shattered life, today.
Thanks,
Desperately down and dropping like a stone

I have an old 044, or it has me. I am attempting to replace the ignition coil. I have watched numerous instructional videos on how to do it. I have read numerous articles as well. I was hopeful I could accomplish this replacement without destroying the saw.
I was all ready to put the new coil in, attach the wires to the shut off switch and to ground it. The shut off mechanism on this 044 consists of two small male prongs. The wire I purchased with the coil kit has a half inch long pencil lead thin, round "pin" and of course not the two female "clips" that connect to the kill switch. On the clearest images of 044 models I found online they show a round opening into which a "pin" slides and apparently snaps into place. Also, I can't find the opening in the air filter-carburetor "box" through which to run the wire, either. The one I removed was so frayed I couldn't tell exactly where it went through into the box.
I will gladly pay you a $1,000,000 Tuesday to the first person who can straighten out my shattered life, today.
Thanks,
Desperately down and dropping like a stone
Might help to post up some pics of the coil/ saw, fittings etc, and we can walk you thru it.
in the meantime, hope this might help too.

Attachments

• 044_IPL.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 15
Yes i think I'm falling in love with you
Here's a CAD pro tip, buy another 044. Then you can see how to put it together. Now you have two saws and life only gets better from there.
Since I met you, I've begun to feel so strange
Every time I speak your name
That's funny, you say that you
Are so helpless too
That you don't know what to do
Each night I pray there will never come a day
When you up and take your love away
Say you feel the same way too
And I wonder what
It is I feel for you
(Could it be I'm falling in love)
With you, baby
Woo
With you
With you
With you
(With you)
I don't need all those things that used to bring me joy
You've made me such a happy boy
And honey, you' ll always be
The only for me
Meeting you was my destiny
You can be sure I will never let you down
When you need me I'll be around
And darling you'll always be
The only for me
Heaven made you specially
With you, baby
Woo
With you
With you
With you
(With you)
And darling you'll always be
The only for me
Heaven made you specially
With you, baby
I want to know now, baby
With you
With you
With you
(With you)
I walk around with my heart in my hands, hey
I walk the street as long as I can, baby
I used to sing fa fa fa fa
But right now I feel so good, I sing la la la la
Once you get me up, won't let me down
Just let this feeling carry me on
Skip the beats with my heart girl

Might help to post up some pics of the coil/ saw, fittings etc, and we can walk you thru it.
in the meantime, hope this might help too.
Now that you mention it, I am quite the photog. Sincerely, thank you for the manual.
You know there is always the possibility that I've gone completely out of my mind. The Sein

Here's a CAD pro tip, buy another 044. Then you can see how to put it together. Now you have two saws and life only gets better
What if I use the other 044 I just got that runs fine?

Ok, I see I stepped into a troll thread.
Not at all. I was just studying what you included and am trying to figure out if I can take pictures of the problem areas that will be clear enough. I appreciate your help. Honestly. I am just so untalented when it comes to machinery, if I don't laugh, I'll cry.

You’ve got the wrong wire set. Most of the small Stihl’s use the male bullets at the end. Like the 026/036-the bullets go into the lever and the control spring.

The 1128 series (044/046/461) are a different animal. The leads are quite long. They clip to coil, then go through grommet in case (which needs to be removed, placed over wires, then pushed in after they are run through case), then into air box on the fan side. After that, they get held down under the carb boot area (by extended holddowns cast into tank) and go over to the PTO Side. Then they actually loop up and over the carb adjustment grommet and plug into the switch. And yes, 2 female ends.

Its roughly 2-3X as long as the standard smaller saw wiring.

You’ve got the wrong wire set. Most of the small Stihl’s use the male bullets at the end. Like the 026/036-the bullets go into the lever and the control spring.

The 1128 series (044/046/461) are a different animal. The leads are quite long. They clip to coil, then go through grommet in case (which needs to be removed, placed over wires, then pushed in after they are run through case), then into air box on the fan side. After that, they get held down under the carb boot area (by extended holddowns cast into tank) and go over to the PTO Side. Then they actually loop up and over the carb adjustment grommet and plug into the switch. And yes, 2 female ends.

Thanks man. That seems to be exactly what I'm struggling with. Wow. I think you have hit the nail on the head. I watched videos of guys replacing the ignition coils on 044s there were nothing like what I ave encountered. For example, when I removed the wires from the air box that were severely frayed, they appeared to be looped around and through various structures no one mentioned until you. Trying to feed a wire through a grommet with other lines running through it was unlike what I'd seen. I wondered if I had a custom modified saw. I bought it used from an ace mechanic who is like a genius with motors and engines, etc. I have to reread what you said and see if I can apply it. I want to take pictures, too.
I am nervous. I had hoped fixing this saw might be my first successful effort not to make something worse!
Thanks to you and all of you guys much! I hope I don't make World News Tonight with breaking news that the U.S. has been attacked with a home grown nuclear weapon.

What is the PTO side?

I'm learning how to include the pictures I just took. Have to find my email password.
What is the PTO side?
Let's go

Let's see

Guess who and the kill switch. It has 2 male prongs. Hard to see, I know. I got more pictures coming

Attachments

• IanconOssax450_zpsd0a3f91a.jpg
    IanconOssax450_zpsd0a3f91a.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 25
  • chainsaw.jpg
    chainsaw.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 26
I'm learning how to include the pictures I just took. Have to find my email password.

Let's go

Let's see

Guess who and the kill switch. It has 2 male prongs. Hard to see, I know. I got more pictures coming
It may be easier to temporarily remove the carburetor to gain access to the wire routing. Just empty the tank and the fuel line first.

Are you installing an aftermarket coil or OEM? The aftermarket is likely to have DIY wire splicing required!

Back