Debarking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwolfrun

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need to debark about 25 logs for use as posts or beans in a barn. I have seen the plainer blade blade attachments that go on the end of a bar but it seems to me they would require a lot of sharpening. Question one - True? Question two - are they worth it? Question three - any better way.

Jim

I still peel most of my logs using a draw knife. When I worked building log cabins, that was the method of choice and as far as I'm concerned it still is. I have way more control with the way the log looks when I'm done too.

I still peel most of my logs using a draw knife. When I worked building log cabins, that was the method of choice and as far as I'm concerned it still is. I have way more control with the way the log looks when I'm done too.
+1
Or store them somewhere dry for a year and peel the bark off with a prybar/whatever.

If you can afford to wait until the spring when the sap is running then cut the trees down and immediately peel them it will be much easier . Don't stop peeling until the bark is completely removed as it will be like the bark is glued on if you dither.

I bought one and have used it a couple of times.

The hudson was a lot cheaper. Their customer service sucks big time and I was going to give them a negative Ebay rating but then I would just get one back. Product is ok.

attachment.php

See this post: http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=672655&postcount=33

On this Thread: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=46652&highlight=log+wizard

I also have the lee valley draw knife and use it as well.

Do you prefer the straight or curved ones?

Straight ones have more control in my opinion. I still have the custom made one from my log cabin days. Spring steel with bolt on tang grips. I was paid nine cents a foot to peel logs. We would work all winter long just trying to keep up with the cutters.

Straight ones have more control in my opinion. I still have the custom made one from my log cabin days. Spring steel with bolt on tang grips. I was paid nine cents a foot to peel logs. We would work all winter long just trying to keep up with the cutters.

I'm curious how long it took to peel those logs at 9 cents a foot. Of course I assume it would vary with dia of log, but do you remember roughly how long it took somebody that was good at it?

I'm curious how long it took to peel those logs at 9 cents a foot. Of course I assume it would vary with dia of log, but do you remember roughly how long it took somebody that was good at it?

If this is per running foot... then

COME ON DOWN

Heck less than 1 dollar for a 10 foot log...

I would gladly pay that :biggrinbounce2:

There were a lot of variables. A frozen log peels quite a bit faster than ones that had thawed. Real Log Homes, the company I worked for, built their cabins with a log that had 2 flat sides so we only had to peel the remainder. The logs were 24 feet long and 30 to a bunk. Besides peeling them we had to run them through a plainer that would also cut a slot in it. Mike and I tried to do 10 bunks a day. I just calc'ed it out to about $648 a day between the two of us.

Before you decide you want to make this your career there are a few things you need to consider:

-Mike and I were about the same size. He was 6'2" and 240lbs and I'm 6'6" and 220 lbs. being matched like this made it easier to carry logs and do the work.
-We worked as many hours as we could at one time. We were both going to University of Montana, Missoula and had to keep up with class.
We ate between 5500 to 6000 calories a day. Food costs a lot.
- Back then it was speed speed and speed there were quite a few accidents. We were very lucky not to have suffered more.
-Our job was to stay ahead of the sawyers. We would leave one day thinking we were set for awhile, only for them to call back a couple of days later screaming for more.

It's funny looking back thinking we peeled logs faster than the other 4 crews put together and never complained or got hurt.

Latest posts

Back