Debating , Debating, Just buy a D@M Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hate to say it , but I would buy the 346 or the Jonsered equivelant. I love my 260 pro after I put new carb on it and opened the muffler, but I dont thinkn that a new saw should require the carb be swapped to run properly.

Having both, I`d say buy whatever feels best to you. You can`t go wrong with these two. I feel that the stock 026 lacks a little top end punch that the stock 346 has, but the 026 is a LITTLE more tolerant of forcing through the cut at less than peak rpm. Where do you fall between these styles.

I think that the weight difference Brian speaks of is actually a matter of balance, but maybe I`m wrong.

Russ

the 026 out cuts the o26pro by a long shot. if you want a nice little saw check out the husky 357xp. marty

Last edited:
Stihl tech, Switching jets is fine and dandy. The problem is a saw with a fixed jet doesnt run consistantly from day to day and yoiu have no way of adjusting it. Also a steup up in jet size many times will be to rich while the next size down is too lean. Why do you go against the grain? The fixed jet card is widely regarded as a POS by everyone here... except by the people that sell stihls.

I've had some problems with my stock 346xp but I don't think that it is a good represntation of Husky's products. I've also had a 026, very good saw I never had any problems out of it. Now as was mentioned earler the PRO model isn't worth a hoot! See if you can find some one near you that has the saws you are comparing and see if they'll let you try them out, then decide.

Hey guys,
Bought a 372xp and a 346xp at the same time. After using the 346xp I immediately sold my 2 026s and an 044. For what it is the 346xp is an awesome little saw.

Woodho

Ive ran both the 026 , 026 pro and the 346xp.. 026pro i didnt care for.. 026 was a nice saw, To me the 346 feels to be more comfertable.. i like the antivibe system on it better then that of the 026. Thats just my personal opinon though.. Like others have said if you are going to buy one of these saws get out there and try them out and see which one fits the bill for you. Everyone has their own personal likes and dislikes about saws, besides collor and price :) So get what is most comfertable for you and find out who the dealers in the area are and how reputable and fair they will be with you.. Around here there is both a stihl dealer and a husky dealer, neither of which i will go to . I go to a town about 45 min away for my saws just because of how fair and honest the dealer there is , And now ive gotten to know him rather well and he cuts me deals when he can or throws in a few extras for me such as extra bar and chain when i go there to buy a saw. And when i drive out there with a saw problem from 45 min away he drops what ever it is he is doing takes my saw in the back has me come in there and he goes to town figuring out what is wrong with it and has it back in action With in minutes As long as the parts are in stock.
Cant ask for much more then that i geuss.

Once again, the 651PRO is the BEST 3ci. saw on the market today. A full 4hp and a 2yr. warranty. I can't believe the market loyalty you fellas have when there are better choices out there, especially when you make your living w/a saw! Just try it, you'll see.

Hi seesaw, to say that the 651P is the best 3ci saw because it has the most hp might be stretching things a little. It could very well be, but most of us will never know because you can`t find a Solo dealer(who sells saws, not just sprayers) to buy one. It`s the sad fate of many fine products such as the new Dolmars and Shindaiwas as well.

Russ

Russ

Hi there Russ,

As with a great percentage of replies on this forum, my opinion on the 651P is just that, an opinion. However, I haven't run against a 3.0ci (stock) saw that can out perform the Solo 651PRO in a log. That is a fact. Do you have an opinion on which 3.0ci (stock) saw is the best on the market?

Good to hear from you!
Seesaw

That`s a tough question because there are so many good saws in the 3 cube class. I`d like to try a 651P for a while. From a sort of "Consumer Reports" perspective I can`t call the 651P "best in class" because you can`t find any dealer support should it be needed. I`ve thought about picking up the Solo line myself but it looks like an albatross because of the lack of brand recognition, which is a real shame. Solo USA needs to spend some bucks and get their name out there which will in turn get more dealers who sell more saws. You have to spend money on advertising to be seen. Seems like only a small percentage of hardcore chainsaw people like ourselves know the quallty of the average Solo product and instead of developing a national ad campaign, Solo is prostituting themselves by selling through companies like DR. I don`t see that as a positive way to get people using their product and it doesn`t bode any better than Husky selling in Sears or Lowes for the servicing dealers. Later.

Russ

is that 651 ,50cc, if so what chain u running.just curious.
if its the best im gonna hunt one and see how good it is.
;)

I was a firm believer in my 651Pro, until I picked up my 346W.
It has been on the shelf for months, the modded 346 makes
it look bad. The saw itself is top shelf, light, feels right, primer
works well, inboard clutch, two air filters, winds right up, just
doesn't work as fast as the Husky. I was going to sell it, but Ken
said I would be surprised when I got it back, so, out West it goes.
The 346 has been a real workhorse, but it will be nice to have two
small saws available that put the work behind you.

Scott,
You can't compare a 346 modified saw to a stock saw. Not apples to apples.

Tony,
I run the stock .050 / .325 Oregon set-up.

Russ,
I couldn't agree with you more on the advertising thing. They need to spend millions of dollars like the "big two" so that every dummy in the country thinks every saw they make is "the best". It worked for Stihl and Husky! It's amazing what strong marketing can do to encourage blind brand loyalty. At any rate, get that name out there. They claim to have set up over 1100 independent dealers across the country on the past 3yrs. Sounds like they're trying but...like you said, spend the money and advertise.

Solo has been brand-naming for others since the early 50's. That was their primary function according to their website. The have made for Stihl, Husky, Sears and more recently, DR and Bailiey's. I'm not sure I would agree that this is the same thing as Husky selling in the big box stores. I suppose that until they gain a decent showing in the US market, that they may need these private contracts to keep going.

Don't you think the 2 year commercial warranty is a great selling point? It made a believer out of me! There aren't many manufac. out there willing to stand behind their products like that.

Enough.

SS,

I can in the context that I own and have run both, and the Solo
isn't up to task at this time. But I agree, in your context, I should
not try to compare apples to anchors. LOL. I really like the Solo,
and hope it turns out to stomp the 346 after modding. It did
seem to outcut my brother-in-laws stock 2149, which would be
a better comparison.

Back