decent drvice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think that device is a Sky Genie, Made by Descent Control, Inc. It appears to be similar, but a Genie has a smooth shaft inside the outer sleeve and this thing looks like it has a spiraled shaft. If so, then that thing is made by Miller, and is called a Descent Control. Pretty confusing names, huh?
You can check both out at Dr. Gary Storrick's site under Vertical Spools.
http://storrick.cnchost.com/VerticalDevicesPage/RappelDevices.shtml
Both devices allow a variable level of friction to be pre-selected by the number of wraps placed on the device during rigging on the rope. The braking action is accomplished by downward pressure on the rope below the device, like an eight or rack, not by pulling down on the sleeve or tube.

Burnham are you sure, the ones I saw had a spring, never used onr liked the Fitch, or J-rack better. Plus the guys that used them were sort of weird.

P_woozel--
I'm pretty sure, but that is only if I have the device identified correctly...for sure the Genie and the Miller have no spring. The only like device with a spring that I know of would be the Frost Rope-Rider II...see Storrick's site for a description and pictures. That one you do pull down on the sleeve to brake. I don't think that is what kowens has posted pictures of, though it may well be what you are remembering having seen.

Latest posts

Back