Decisions, decisions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Fir

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all. As everyone can see I'm VERY new here, this is my first posting. I have been reading this forum for a long time and am amazed at the knowledge base I see, truly. I have a question for everyone.....it's a pretty common one. I'm seeking opinions on a new saw. I know....yawn.

A bit of background first to hopefully try and mitigate the follow up questions regarding what I'll be using the saw for, my experience level and what I'm willing to put up with as far as weight vs. power, etc.. I've been running both small ( 45cc ) and large ( 90+cc ) saws since I was twelve ( I'm now 40...gasp! ) At one time I worked for a commercial tree service (long ago), so I'm quite comfortable running most saws. Between helping my buddies and getting my own firewood I cut between 20-30 cord of tamarack, hemlock, bigger birch and red fir every year, but all year long except when during mid and late winter ) with the logs ranging from probably 18" - 30", sometimes a bit bigger, mostly not smaller. I live in northern idaho, so we do get into some bigger wood quite often. Sometimes it seems more like we're logging than cutting firewood ! A skyline has even been discussed at times. :jawdrop: Yeah, we're obsessed. Enough babbling, here's my question, because I'm agonizing over the answer !

With the above said, here's what I'm looking at as far as a new saw. Trying to stay away from anything smaller than a ms361/ms362/357xp. I want the power and don't mind the weight, as long as it's not a HUGE saw. I run my saws for maybe 4 -6 hours a day and mostly bucking up logs on a road or mild incline. Have lotsa' cable and chain.:dizzy: Here's my list to date;

Stihl 441
Stihl 362
Husqvarna 372XPW
Husqvarna 365 Special ( My dealer has a couple on close out for $500 )

I have not bought a new saw in a LONG time. I talk to some of the loggers here and get the same Husky vs. Stihl biases. But, here most are running Huskies, 372's 575's and now 576's ( which there appears to be a growing disdain for, the 576's I mean )

I have not run any of the above saws with the exception of the 372. I like the 441, but read some comments about it that raise an eyebrow. Would like to think the 362 is at least the equal of the iconic 361, but have not read much SOLID info. on them yet.

I know, kinda splittin' hairs here a bit, but what do you all think. I'm obsessing over this and want you're opinions. And, I know....boring discussion. But, I'd appreciate any input, especially when it could be an $800+ decision involving a hawk-eyed wife who ain't gonna let me buy another expensive saw in a year 'cause I don't like the one I bought this year.

My vote is for the 372

I have some experience with my 372XP and feel it is a "go to" saw for firewood. A muffler mod (since it's so cheap and easy) to free up a little extra power, and run a 20-24" 3/8 chisel with a 7-pin and you will have an excellent firewood saw. I really like mine with a 20" to handle MOST wood (I mostly cut oak), but I have had good results with a 30" GB bar and 3/8 chisel. I don't recommend that bar until stuff gets up over 24" because it does slow a bit, but the versatility is there. A very flexible saw.

Lots of experience around here with a 372, and a lot feel it is one of - if not THE - best saw Husqvarna has ever produced. With all the loggers and other pro's out there using it, I am confident that it has the track record to be a front-runner in any decision for a good firewood saw.

The saws are available, parts are available, and you seem to have plenty of other 372 users in your area to lean on for advice. Add that you have used one, and I think you might just have already made your choice.

Do a search for "372" and you should get quite a lot of reading to do.

Good luck with your selection, and welcome to the "posting" forum.

Dad.jpg

(Photo shows 372XP with 30" GB bar)

Casey.jpg

(Photos shows 372XP with a 20" bar)

P.S. I picked up my 372XP at a local pawn shop owned by a friend. I got the "friend price" too. It was a BARELY used one for ..................$225!!! I couldn't pass it up. Been a great saw. Maybe keep that in mind and watch the Trading Post here, along with cautiously looking at eBay and Craigslist for a used bargain. It can happen.

Last edited:
What do you mean, "boring discussion"? Such discussions are anything but boring around here; usually getting quite spirited.

Nothing wrong with any of the saws you mentioned, including the 411 and 576.

Early, non auto-tune 576's slipped through with a piston clearance issue, so a few of them toasted themselves. Guys around here absolutely love the Auto-Tune 576. Starts up no matter how cold it is, and I've seen no issues yet.

I'm not a Stihl guy, but I've run the 441, and I think it's a great saw also. No reason to be afraid of it.

From the models that you mentioned, and the size wood you are cutting, my pick would be the 372XPW. I think you'd never have to ask your wife for permission to get another saw if that was your choice. :cheers:

I think that the stuff in the 60cc class is too small regardless of brand.

Hi all. As everyone can see I'm VERY new here, this is my first posting. I have been reading this forum for a long time and am amazed at the knowledge base I see, truly. I have a question for everyone.....it's a pretty common one. I'm seeking opinions on a new saw. I know....yawn.

A bit of background first to hopefully try and mitigate the follow up questions regarding what I'll be using the saw for, my experience level and what I'm willing to put up with as far as weight vs. power, etc.. I've been running both small ( 45cc ) and large ( 90+cc ) saws since I was twelve ( I'm now 40...gasp! ) At one time I worked for a commercial tree service (long ago), so I'm quite comfortable running most saws. Between helping my buddies and getting my own firewood I cut between 20-30 cord of tamarack, hemlock, bigger birch and red fir every year, but all year long except when during mid and late winter ) with the logs ranging from probably 18" - 30", sometimes a bit bigger, mostly not smaller. I live in northern idaho, so we do get into some bigger wood quite often. Sometimes it seems more like we're logging than cutting firewood ! A skyline has even been discussed at times. :jawdrop: Yeah, we're obsessed. Enough babbling, here's my question, because I'm agonizing over the answer !

With the above said, here's what I'm looking at as far as a new saw. Trying to stay away from anything smaller than a ms361/ms362/357xp. I want the power and don't mind the weight, as long as it's not a HUGE saw. I run my saws for maybe 4 -6 hours a day and mostly bucking up logs on a road or mild incline. Have lotsa' cable and chain.:dizzy: Here's my list to date;

Stihl 441
Stihl 362
Husqvarna 372XPW
Husqvarna 365 Special ( My dealer has a couple on close out for $500 )

I have not bought a new saw in a LONG time. I talk to some of the loggers here and get the same Husky vs. Stihl biases. But, here most are running Huskies, 372's 575's and now 576's ( which there appears to be a growing disdain for, the 576's I mean )

I have not run any of the above saws with the exception of the 372. I like the 441, but read some comments about it that raise an eyebrow. Would like to think the 362 is at least the equal of the iconic 361, but have not read much SOLID info. on them yet.

I know, kinda splittin' hairs here a bit, but what do you all think. I'm obsessing over this and want you're opinions. And, I know....boring discussion. But, I'd appreciate any input, especially when it could be an $800+ decision involving a hawk-eyed wife who ain't gonna let me buy another expensive saw in a year 'cause I don't like the one I bought this year.

1St Welcome to AS.

If you slowly re-read your own post. You know what you want.

The 362 may be a fine saw but the 361 is a proven legend.

W/800$$ get the 441 or 460. And never look back!

If you can afford it, the 372xp(w) sounds like it is right up your alley. If you are on a budget, check out the Makita DCS6401. Last time I checked, the site sponsor Baileys was selling them for about 470 shekels. The Makita is heavier than most 60cc chainsaws but it is built like a bank vault. Homus Depotus uses them as rentals. Anything that can survive in a rental service has got to be one tough bird. The makita can easily be upgraded with a 79cc cylinder and piston for about $200, should you want more power in the future. The upgrade would give you a dolmar 7900 (Makita owns dolmar) just with some funky blue paint. If you have a decent dolmar dealer in your area, you can just buy a 7900 as well. Welcome to AS and good luck with your choice.

I have not run all of those saws but from reading on here as well it appears you did your home work and I don't need to tell you they are all very nice saws. I have a 372 and love it. Good luck with your decision. Welcome to AS. Pretty soon you will be needing a ms200t and a 390 or 3120 to go with whatever saw you chose!

365 for $500. Run it for a while and earn interest on your leftover $300. One day (after the warranty is expired) when you want a thrill, pop for the BB top end.

Oh yeah, I DID consider a 7900 Dolmar, but there are no Dolmar dealers within 150 miles of me and even then, the one there is is one of those, " we can order you a 7900 " dealers. None to be seen around here. A guy has a better chance of seeing Big Foot, or possibly Elvis.

And, yeah, some of you did hit it right on the head, I DO pretty much know what I want I'm just at loggerheads with myself over one of two saws for the most part when it comes right down to it. The 441 or the 372, but not having run a 441 ( and my local Stihl dealer doesn't do "test drives" ) I was hoping for the down and dirty from anyone who has, more so from someone who's run both saws and can provide their thoughts. I like both Stihl and Husky, I'm not a dyed in the wool guy for either. I've run 440's (RIP) though.

What's the skinny on the 441 ? Other than what Stihl tells me.

The 372 is one of the most reliable saws i have ever used. I take care of mine but some of my co-workers pound theirs and they dont ever have much of a problem. THE ONLY STUPID QUESTION IS THE ONE YOU DONT ASK!

Red fir

good to see another idahoan on the site. i would sugest nothing smaller then 70cc for the kind of cutting that you do. manufacture realy doesnt matter in 70cc class of saws.

i have both a 372 and 440 i cut alot of wood with these saws they wear short 28" bars most of the time and can runn my 32" bar pretty good cutting wood out past its tip

i also have 066 that will handle most of the 32" and bigger cuting duties this season.

all three of these saws are ported and muffler modded but the 372 and 440 460 are all capable to 32" with no mods. crank the oiler all the way up and cut wood.

the only smaller saw i would maybe sugest is makitas/dolmar 6401, this is 64cc saw but has the option to upgrade to 80 something cc i feel this is great bang for your buck saw.

somwhere around here theres a video of my ported 372 going through wood to 32" bar tip

good luck and keep us posted on what you do.

later
Evan

Watsonr,

Bonners Ferry. Spitting distance from Canada, ehh. Yeah, I love my Tamarack, but I'll take Red Fir as a close second. Though lately it is getting harder and harder to find decent wood in both. Around here, if you don't stay on your tows and get your wood in when you find it, forget about it, the wood-whores leave you nothing but saw dust piles in a heartbeat !! I think we do as much wood scouting as we do elk scouting anymore.

You'd have to drive 150 miles for one? Hmmm...let me think this one over. While I'm doing that...welcome to AS. Its nice to have you aboard!:cheers:

attachment.php

Man, that's just NOT FAIR !! You're making me drool !!! :cry:

Awsome saw !! I think those 7900's are about THE coolest looking saws around. Bad MF's too from what I've heard.

you ever go to kreachies mud bog however you spell that, wild stuff. my cousins used to live in bonners ive spent quite abit of time up there we used to go mess around in canada when you could just drive across the border.

We never left the woods without a load, EVER! Used to hate giving up hunting time to load it, you could tell it was time to come back to the truck when you could hear the saw start. I used to cuss the old man, now look at me......I see dead wood everywhere and think about how to get it! Brother turned out to be a wood getter for a living. Good luck in your choice, sounds like a Husky to me.

32"
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid661.photobucket.com/albums/uu339/Evan03_photo/GEDC1439.flv">

3 saws same wood same chain 32" bar. the slowest is my stock 044
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid661.photobucket.com/albums/uu339/Evan03_photo/saw%20vids/GEDC1566.flv">
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid661.photobucket.com/albums/uu339/Evan03_photo/saw%20vids/GEDC1567.flv">
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid661.photobucket.com/albums/uu339/Evan03_photo/saw%20vids/GEDC1568.flv">

Last edited:
Wow, small world ! Well that mud bug you;re talking about has evolved in to quite an event. Its not Kreechies anymore, some other guy is doing it now. upwards of 7500 people show up for it ! Its a mess and Im not talking about the mud. As far as it being easy to just cross in to Canada anymore, thats a thing of the past too. The people at the border(s) do everything but dismantle your car now, just a big pain, but Im glad to see them trying to be vigialant. There's a lotta large loads of dope and other bad S**T coming across in to our county from Canada now. Different world up here now brother. And, yeah, I know what you mean about always being able to fill up a pickup in no time flat. Way too many people outta work and selling firewood now. Gotta get it when you find it now, or be willing to get the stuff that the wood-hoes are too lazy to drag.

Like I said though, Im not a die hard Husky guy, but I really do like those 372's. Just called a buddy of mine, gonna borrow his 576 this weekend. We'll see. I wish I knew someone with a 441. I think that's what Im trying to decide, 372 or 441. I like that Stihl 362 as well, just want something in the 70cc class. My 266 is beyond hope anymore.

Latest posts

Back