Decisions, Decsions, which 026 to choose

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ax-man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
After hearing all the talk about how good an 026 is, I figured it was high time I see what the big deal is all about and try to make one.

The two on the right were freebies from a Sthil dealer, scored up piston and cylinders with other parts missing. The one on the left e-bay whole parts saw with another bad engine.

Which will be the lucky canditate for the new top end I bought, so far the it's the middle one, have to tear them down a little more to check seals and bearings.

Got some other used parts and hopefully get two 026's up and running, with a little more scrounging might get three 026's, could happen.

Don't really need three 026's, maybe sell one or two locally to recoup some money. The best one, if this works will be added to the working stable, maybe keep another one for a back-up or a porting experiment. Wish me luck :rolleyes:

Larry

Here we go, I resized it maybe that was the problem, I missed a step that was the problem. Drrrr

The one on the left looks like it has the least amount of hours on it, judging by the condition of the handle, plastic, and stickers.

well ill say it again.. put out the bucks for a saw from one of these fellows,here.
they wil know enuff about them to evaluate them better.. dans probably got one.. tony m also possibly..jmo. just wish i knew enuff to rebuild as you say u can..if i could do that id have a good source of exstra money in the off season..one of these days mabe..good luck.

Are you sure you really want to rebuild one of those ?

I'm not sure I would from the lookks of them, but it may just be the picture.

Probaly the camera, it's not much on details.

Why not try and rebuld them, never know till you try. Kinda fun, tearing them apart and getting them going again, if I get a couple years use out the saw, I'll be happy.

Besides, I can't let all this good info that is given on this site go to waste. It is a goldmine of info if you have a saw(s) to keep up and maintain, plus you get to add to what ya got.

Larry

Larry

Be sure to check the big end rod bearing. If you need any 026 parts just call the Fargo Kid. He owns every 026 in the state.

Ricky

Will do on the bearing. The Fargo Kid, that is good one :D , did you catch that bit on the news where the Fargo Kid went crazy with a modded 026, there is not one tree left standing in Fargo. ;)

Larry

Larry

The Fargo Kid cut the last tree down at the courthouse yesterday. I'm pretty sure he's in jail now.

Ricky

Might be cousins not sure, maybe the 056 Kid can bust the Fargo Kid out, judge ruled no bail for this guy and to throw away the keys, might be sitting in there for a looong time.

Larry

Travis

He called me tonight wanting money for bail. But, I'm to tight to send any money. Would you be willing to help him out? I think he's missing his wife.

Ricky

Not looking good for the Fargo Kid, upon futher investigation by local law officials all those 026's might have been rustled, some from out of state, others could have came from Canada. The FBI is involved in it now, this is not good for the Fargo Kid.

Larry

After getting sidetracked with a few other saws, I have gotten back to this 026 project.

The middle saw was the one that had the best looking crank and a tight connecting rod bearing compared to the other two. But on the flip side the middle saw had the most engine damage. The cylinder and piston were lean seized bad. The pulse line had a hole in it. The crank bearing on the flywheel side had play in it, along with a bad seal.

I have the crankcase split with bearings out of the case and the crankshaft out of the case. I've split a few others in the past, but this one went easy and much quicker this time, because of all the helpful tips you guys share, plus having more of the right tools helped quite a bit.

I'm going to be ordering all new parts this week to start rebuilding this saw. The question I have is, is it possible for the problem that caused this saw to go south in the first place could come back and haunt me later, even with all these new parts installed.

The two halves of the crankcase look good, just some cleaning and polishing to make it look good for the new parts. Should I be looking for something in particular so this bearing problem on the flywheel side doesn't come back later on???

Larry

If you had to choose a saw with a 18" bar which would it be???? the old or the new???

I got two 026's up and running out of those three, they have been working about a month, six weeks now. The one on the right I like the best, starts easy, runs crisp, that saw got a good used piston and jug, with light porting and new rings. The handle on it has more cushion than the one on the left, cuts the vibration down a lot.

The one on the left got all the new engine parts from the bearings up, compared to the other saw it is kind of a ho hummer.

I like the saws, they have good balance, cut decent, but they aren't super stars for their size. I don't see what the big deal is about them and why they have such a big fan club.

Larry

Back