decompression plug leaking around threads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_289

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I put a new Farmertec P&C on a Husqvarna 51. I fired it up last night and adjusted the carb but noticed after I went to put it up that there was oil around the decomp plug. Its tight but appears to be leaking around the threads. Is there a sealant that will hold up to the heat?

I put a new Farmertec P&C on a Husqvarna 51. I fired it up last night and adjusted the carb but noticed after I went to put it up that there was oil around the decomp plug. Its tight but appears to be leaking around the threads. Is there a sealant that will hold up to the heat?

Make sure it has the little washer on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the things most often replaced by those that build Farmertec kit saws is the decomp valve.
You could try teflon tape- but it would be better to unscrew it, throw it in the trash and replace it with an OEM one- or seeing as how it is a 51, just fit the factory blanking plug.

I have it on good authority that a minor leak at the decomp or spark plug doesn’t tend to cause a problem and that it’ll likely fill with carbon. A leak there won’t cause a lean seizure. That said, If it’s a major leak you’ll lose compression. Doesn’t hurt to do a leak down and see how bad it is.

Back