decompression valve on ms 391

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mess

Reaction score
hi my ms391 blew the decompsession valve clean off . i had used it to make two cuts . literally 3 min warm up 3min work. gave it a min at idle and was about to trigger it off when it just quit . took me a min to figure out WTH had happened and never did find the valve. ordered a new one did a little research that gave me no insight as to what the issue may have been. no damage to the spark plug , it was brand new still looks new. piston still moves i did not put a gauge on it yet but it is getting compression and spark. after new valve it of course does not start. what i could see of the cylinder wall appears worn but nothing obvious jumped out at me. i know enough to make some educated guesses and am old enough that i was taught the lost art of critical thinking but my experience is mostly older vehicles not so much small engines and i know that saws are not weed eaters. some advice from those more experienced than myself as to an avenue to pursue would be greatly appreciated.

Gosh, that seems unusual.

How do the valve-threads in the cylinder look? If they are OK, my guess would be defective threads on the valve, or valve-not-torqued-down.

With the latter being the most likely.

Would have been good to have been able to find the valve.

Roy

If you are a torque-wrench-kind-of-guy, the shop manual will have a spec for that valve. You can get the manual using the Beg For Manuals thread on this site.

Roy

Latest posts

Back