Deep pond in crotch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
paulie

paulie

ArboristSite Lurker
My 25-foot high, 12-14 inch diameter, fruitless mulberry has a pit hole in the crotch, about 8 feet above the ground. It fills with water and muck to a depth of 6-7 inches. I flushed it with a hose. Now that it is clean and dry, I can see no damage to the bark, which looks fine all the way to the bottom. The pit is conical shape. Is this condition harmful to the tree? If so, what should be done? Last year, an arborist suggested drilling a drain hole. Is such invasive surgery warranted?

rebelman

rebelman

ArboristSite Operative
I agree, trees are equipped to handle such "ponds" A drain hole could breech zones and cause problems. Filling the cavity, or roofing it with tin or something are common methods also discredited.

paulie

paulie

ArboristSite Lurker
rebelman said:
I agree, trees are equipped to handle such "ponds" A drain hole could breech zones and cause problems. Filling the cavity, or roofing it with tin or something are common methods also discredited.

Why is roofing the cavity with tin or wood shingles discredited?

pinus

pinus

ArboristSite Operative
It seems that years ago someone cutted tree down. Those things are shortening tree life on their timescale, "fortunately" the our one is faster.
Anoter possibility is to "blow" water out from cavity after evry big rain.

jmack

jmack

ArboristSite Guru
no arborist

paulie said:
My 25-foot high, 12-14 inch diameter, fruitless mulberry has a pit hole in the crotch, about 8 feet above the ground. It fills with water and muck to a depth of 6-7 inches. I flushed it with a hose. Now that it is clean and dry, I can see no damage to the bark, which looks fine all the way to the bottom. The pit is conical shape. Is this condition harmful to the tree? If so, what should be done? Last year, an arborist suggested drilling a drain hole. Is such invasive surgery warranted?
he wasnt a licensed arborist self proclaimed maybe

skwerl

skwerl

Will Climb for food
paulie said:
My 25-foot high, 12-14 inch diameter, fruitless mulberry has a pit hole in the crotch, about 8 feet above the ground. It fills with water and muck to a depth of 6-7 inches. I flushed it with a hose. Now that it is clean and dry, I can see no damage to the bark, which looks fine all the way to the bottom.
If it has managed it's entire life to survive and thrive with this condition, why do you want to drill holes or build metal caps? With nothing done, it has remained undamaged and unaffected until now. Why must you insist on damaging it? Leave it alone.

paulie

paulie

ArboristSite Lurker
skwerl said:
If it has managed it's entire life to survive and thrive with this condition, why do you want to drill holes or build metal caps? With nothing done, it has remained undamaged and unaffected until now. Why must you insist on damaging it? Leave it alone.

Thanks, skwerl, for your comment. I'm happy to have concensus on what to do (which is to do nothing). Please note that I've not insisted on anything. I simply asked for an explanation.

This is a great forum, very useful, thanks to all the generous contributors.

Latest posts