Exactly how did this tree die?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outofmytree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I need to borrow some brain power folks. I was called out to remove a dead Liquid Amber. The tree was poisoned IMO based on the 12 holes "drilled" in to the trunk and the evident decay surrounding those wounds. In addition the tree was in full leaf only 12 months ago and went into decline between Christmas '08 and Easter '09. I have attached a few photographs here to outline my own thoughts.

attachment.php

First note it is the only dead tree in the area other than some Seridium infected Cypress. In fact, Liquid amber do very well in Perth and readily exceed 25 metres height as fast as 1 metre per year in the right location.

attachment.php

Good all round form other than the poor crotch marked in red. An easy cable job in the future (had the tree not died of course).

attachment.php

Lots of suspiciously uniform holes both in diameter,depth and location on the trunk.

attachment.php

So I am thinking that this was a well executed kill. Neat holes, well spaced out and all less than 4 inches deep. Given the size of the tree and the small fluid volume each hole could hold I am guessing a solution of Glyphosate and diesel. Undiluted glyphosate often fails to kill trees because it damages cells before the herbicide can translocate but I know guys who mix it with diesel and report succesful stump control.

What do you all think? Was there another reason other than poisoning to explain this trees rapid decline and death? If the tree was poisoned what was used and how was it mixed and applied?

I have posted more photographs here if it helps. :cheers:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=116610

I'll bet if you took a sample of the stained wood from the stump to a lab, they could tell you what kind of poision was used.
Rick

Acsi

Good-day-mate. You'll be back in the area soon, #23 on adjacent street has a tree that meets the victims profile. You may want to conduct a proactive investigation, as the perp. may have already struck.

Last edited:
Good-day-mate. You'll be back in the area soon, #23 on adjacent street has a tree that meets the victims profile. You may want to conduct a proactive investigation, as the purp. may have already struck.

That Agonis flexuosa @ 23 is leaning toward the shared back fence with 520. If it were to "accidently" die you know its going for a swim.......

If #520 is the perp. (perpetrator) that took out the tree on #522 property. For leaves in the pool he may be on the other side of the fence again only at #23 house this time working his chemistry.

I think someone is trying to keep leaves out of the pool...........ask the #23 if you can look at the tree..

Its called trespass & willful damages to property. All the needed details are in the WA law link.

http://factsheets.edowa.org.au/pdf/iel_commonlaw.pdf

See section Trespass & Proof
In order to successfully prove all common law causes of action, a plaintiff must prove all parts of their claim on the balance of probabilities. So "not beyond reasonable doubt". Just if looks like they were the perp the judge can say guilty.

Your client may if sees fit. Print this fact sheet doc add your assessment of cause and removal bill. Drop it in 520s letter box with a demand for payment in 30 days or legal action will begin.

The bluff may just work, pursing this though court a waste of time as only winner will be lawyers.

Last edited:
Yeah the trouble here is proof of which there is none. I have passed on my factual findings, the drilled holes and the decay around them, to my clients agent but as DW said, this is not a legal case, it just wouldnt float.

My original question was the method of poisoning. I assumed Glypho and diesel because they are cheap and readily available as well as often mentioned amongst gardeners/lawnies/landscapers. What I am unsure about is the amount required to do the deed given the very small volume. Considering we are talking about a hole 6.5mm in diameter, 100mm long and set at 45degrees. This gives a fluid volume of (pI*r2 * 10 [-5%])) 3.15ml average per hole or under 1 teaspoon if you see what I mean. Any ideas?

:monkey:

Back