Deer Damage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K, I've been away a couple days so this thread got a little long and I didn't read it all. I live just up the road from you a bit. Was raised in Olney and live in Mt Airy now. A few years ago Dad woke up in the middle of the night and saw shadows moving around on his front porch. He grabbed his shotgun and threw the door open, it was 2 deer up on the front porch eating his Taxes Yews. He had covered the front and tops of them with big orchard nets, but left the backs open. Another time I came over and had a big fat doe charge me out of his garage, she was eating the bowl of dog food in there.

My brother in law is an electrian, and he put up a motion detector around my inlaws garden. It set off a strobe light and a radio. It worked for a few days. Then Pop swore the deer were down in the garden doing the Bump to the strobe and disco music.

DNR conferences we've attended have adressed this problem and the # 1 deterent was hunting. It really isn't enough to reduce the population, but it moves the deer over to your neighbors yard. I have permission to hunt on property in Potomac and Norbeck, but with a bow, I'm always leary of the deer getting off the property into someone elses yard before expiring. How big is your lot? Anything under about three acres makes me a little nervous of escapees, Joe.

$10,000.... Whoa !!!

I have a small tree farm, approx 7,000 trees. Loss estimated on three foot arbor vitae, approx 650 eaten@ $15-$19 ea.
Good news is the Deer Off seems to be working, I have not seen any of those foul vermin eating my profits in almost a week.

Peppermint oil sprayed directly on the plants , or concentrate Garlic oil they hate the taste of both , we would use on the nursery stock for deer , the only problem is after every rain or snow it needs to be reapplied...

In Connecticut, we use DeerPro Winter Animal Repellent to stop the deer from eating our customers' landscaping. It is the most popular plant care service we provide. We protect over 3000 properties every fall.

Latest posts

Back