Deer rubs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Newby here. I had 2 separate deer rubs on longleaf pines last night. The trees are almost 3 years old and are two to three feet tall. One tree was girdled from top to bottom. The other tree was only rubbed on one side. I put some stakes around both trees. Will they survive?

I can tell you what happened to mine, I planted two dogwoods and a bradford pear. they went two years and was growing fine. one fall a buck rubbed all three of them and they all died. The sucker girdled two of the all the way around and half way on the bradford pear. Now pines may be a bit more hearty, If he just rubbed one side it may live But if he girdled them all the way around they probably ain't gonna make it. There are a lot of tree experts here that will give you a better answer.

Last edited:
There is hope but speed is of the essence. First track that buck and kill him then remove the bark from his antlers and graft it back on before the wound dries.

Ok I was just playing but grafting sometimes can repairs such wounds if done very soon after the incident. I would plant more trees and use pvc protection until they are mature enough to survive deer rubbing.

I like ropensaddes response. The pines are doomed. Try hanging some downy sheets in them with string. It has worked real well for me. When they fade go spray some cheap rank cologne on the sheets. It will work for a while. Good luck. The biggest thing is change it up. I have to do this with my small pines and fruit trees in the spring. They love the new buds and growth.

Latest posts

Back