Defining yourself; What you call yourself

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMCreations

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I'm working with a tree care equipment company who would like to do a promotional campaign saluting arborists as Urban Forest Heroes, as you're the folks that get called in for storm clean-up and other important tasks. Does the term Urban Forest Heroes speak to you? Other terms suggested include Urban Forest Professional, Urban Forest Experts, Urban Forest Pros. What do you like/dislike?

Thank you in advance!

Hero is a term that seems to get thrown around too often now so I kind of roll my eyes at that. In my opinion the term 'Professional' summarizes how an owner wants his crew to be represented and how workers want to be viewed as best given your options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hero is a term that seems to get thrown around too often now so I kind of roll my eyes at that. In my opinion the term 'Professional' summarizes how an owner wants his crew to be represented and how workers want to be viewed as best given your options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for your feedback! We want to make sure we're speaking in the "right language" for folks!

This is Arboristsite. We are Arborists. Some professional, some not so professional. In my Dad's generation, they were Tree Surgeons. Now that I'm retired, I prefer to be called Joe, Joe.

What's wrong with Arborist?

Ground *****, for an excellent groundie

Mincer, for new guys, people with soft skin or raking allergies

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I live up north, south shore of Lake Superior. I would not consider this as an urban area. This is more of a place where urban people come to vacation and try to spew there citiotic views on how We should use our natural resources and such. Whit that said I guess I would have to say there is no heroism with tree work unless of course we save somone. I think weather urban or rual most of us are just hard working Tree Guys wanting to be safe and get home to our families and loved ones at the end of the day.

I live up north, south shore of Lake Superior. I would not consider this as an urban area. This is more of a place where urban people come to vacation and try to spew there citiotic views on how We should use our natural resources and such. Whit that said I guess I would have to say there is no heroism with tree work unless of course we save somone. I think weather urban or rual most of us are just hard working Tree Guys wanting to be safe and get home to our families and loved ones at the end of the day.
Thanks for the reply! I'm definitely getting the idea that the "hero" terminology was a bad idea. I'm glad so many of you were willing to tell me that!

Please, no need for name calling. I had thought you were asking who I was working for, which I can't disclose, so I said so. The link provided above is not my site. I do live below the bridge. The equipment is chippers.

Regarding the OP's examples, the Urban Forest Expert sounded best of those stated.

Arborist sound professional. And it's probably no less confusing than Urban Forest, although lots of people are unfamiliar about both.

What I don't like to call myself, is a "landscaper" even though I could pass certified arborist exams decades ago with better scores than most tree workerrs. Landscaper really seems to have a negative vibe to me, even if I am trained and certified for that too.

Back