Degree numbers alright?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerking

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
...Ok bear with me..this was my first time with the wheel..These are the numbers I came up with on my 028, keep in mind, this was a used jug and the only port work that I did to it was, widen the exhasut port and flatten out the intake floor, transfers were untouched, the base gasket was removed and squish is at .023. the wheel i used was the one that I printed off of one of the posts.
Do these numbers look ok? The issue I was having was no bottom end torque. My compression is 165 cold

Ex open 112*
Dur 136*

In Open 117*
Dur 126*

Tr open 125*
Dur 110*

Those number don't look right. Exhaust looks really low, intake waaaay to high but the transfers look pretty close. I would think exhaust would be around 100*-105*, intake around 70-75* and transfers around 120-125*.

Gink...could it be because I tossed the base gasket to tighten the squish? Only thing I did to the exhaust was widen it, and the intake I just flattened out the floor

If the intake duration is 126° then it's 63°. Which seems a bit low. The exhaust is a lot lower than I've seen out of any saw.

Good Christ!! I hope I'm reading it right....I checked it 3 times!!LOL...Would make sense that I need to raise the exhaust to compensate for the no base gasket no?

Most of us read the intake the other way and whatever it is you double it and thats it. Most saws are around 95-105° exhaust, 70-80° intake and the transfers usually are anywhere from 14-25° blowdown which is the difference between the exhaust opening and transfer opening. A 372 is around 102° exhaust for a duration of 156°. The intake is normally 74° or 148°. The transfers are 124° for a duration of 112°. I just used that for an example since it's one I could remember.

Lowering the jug and flattening out the intake floor should add to the timing not take away. It will lower the exhaust which helps torque and compression a little.

Latest posts

Back