depth gauge (raker) tool accuracy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Heaf

Reaction score
I have two depth gauges marked 0.025" (0.63mm), one an Oregon (part no 21830) and the other a Dolmar (complete with bar slot cleaner hook). Neither are noticeably worn. I noticed that more of the chain's depth gauge (raker) projects with the Oregon one. So it set me measuring them with digital calipers and a straight edge. The Oregon one was 0.45 mm and the Dolmar 0.40 mm. So neither of them were the stated 0.63 mm and thus result in a shallower depth of cut.

Has anyone else looked into this issue? Does a loss of at least 0.18 mm in cutting depth make much difference? Does anyone check their depth gauges to verify whether they are as stated?

If you want to measure use feeler gauge and straight edge and put on the straightest portion of the bar. If you do the filing kind of close to the nose you can get a bit more off if I recall correctly. I have the kind with the filing area in the middle, there is another one that the filing area is on the end and then a progressive kind I do not have but is more desirable around here as it allows more taken off as the tooth gets shorter.

I have a vanguard .375 chain on the filing vise with just filed left cutters and depth gauges just filed with tool 31941.
Using a piece of clear polycarbonate (lexan) as a strait edge it pretty much checks .025, even tho this tool's for low profile .375.
Any tool that measures from two cutter tips is not going to work as well as the husky and carlton progressive depth gauge tools do, IMO.
Getting them all equal is a good thing but having the self feeding of a new chain you're going to need a progressive filing gauge.

depth gauges just filed with tool 31941
My 'Oregon Gaugit' drop-center tool looks identical to the 31941 only its part number is 21830. It seems a bit risky buying another in the hope it has a true 0.025". I'll probably grind the drop-center do give the right depth.
Franny K. said:
I have the kind with the filing area in the middle, there is another one that the filing area is on the end...
My two are each type, the one, marked 'Dolmar', with the filing area at the end is the less accurate of the two.

Latest posts

Back