Depth Gauges for Husky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majutsu

Reaction score
Hi,

This is likely a stupid question but I only got my first chainsaw last week.

I can't figure out how to use the Husqvarna combination depth gauge - the almost non-existent instructions in the back are ***t :bang: And the net has no illustrations - including Husqvarna's own site:buttkick:

It looks like this tool:
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=187&d=1010452676

I know the theory behind depth gauges, but just not how this tool is supposed to relate to it at all:confused:

Help! My chainsaw is spewing forth the finest dust--.--

depth guage

the little T-shaped hole should be on the raker/rider and the slot in front should rest in the back of the cutter in front of it ,,, hard or soft is up to you, if you choose soft the cutter will take a bigger bite in the wood, but start with hard and if you need more cut speed and your up for it you can go hard :p
hope you understand what i mean and be safe ,,,,,

Use the gauge to see where the raker is, then remove the gauge before taking a swipe or two with your flat file. Then put the gauge back on to see how much you took off. By the second or third tooth you should be able to just use it as a final check after filing the raker.

These guys covered it well, but I will add, that if you just bought your first saw a week ago, and it was new, or had a new chain, the rakers shouldn't be touched until about the 3rd or 4th sharpening. Remove too much, and hardwood will dull the cutters quickly.

Steve

I've checked brand new chain out of the box and the rakers were uneven, I would check them just to see how the are.

Lucky

AKA Buck

are you saposed to go to the bottom of the cutter in front of it ? or are you saposed to go to the top of the cutter in front of it ? i always just take then down a stroke or so every couple sharpenings but i also would like to know how to use these tools.. can someone take a pic of how to use them please?

how to use

heres a picture of how to use it ,,

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back