Descending using your figure 8

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbug

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
A safety question which I have been pondering about... When you are descending a tree using SRT, with your figure 8 attached to your dees, do you use a backup device of some sort to stop you in the event something happens, (accident), and you let go of the rope? Seems like proper technique is to always have 2 systems...a primary and backup...anytime you enter a tree. How do you guys do it coming down? Just use only the figure 8 or what?

I leave my friction hitch in place and tend it with my "free" hand above the eight.

Glen

I just come on down. My right hand guides and my left hand controls. It I were to stroke out right about then, I would plummet earthward tootsweet. So no, I don't use a back-up.

leaving the hitch in place, but a little loose is a good idea. you can stop and grab a hanger on the way down if you have to. or just soft lock the 8 i guess.you could rap out on just the 8 if you had a guy belay your rope.

Mike Maas said:
My guess is that if you did let go, you wouldn't fall that fast anyway. MB, tomorrow you get up real high, hook up your 8, and jump with no hands. If we don't hear back from you tomorrow we'll assume it's no good.

Roger that.

:dizzy:

I use a Munter in a tree, I save the hardware for long descents. I fell out of a spar a few years ago because the Munter was a hitch I had learned but never used, got in a hurry leaned back and all the sudden I couldnt breathe, my back hurt like hell and everyone was running twords me looking all weird. I have used that exclusively since then so as to never do it wrong again. :umpkin:

what's the point of an eight if you keep a prussik or hitch? When rock climbers repel do they? No. Tough guys out of 20' drop helis with automatic weaponl
ry? Wrong again.

It's not very often that I use the fig 8 to descend. If I do, I use a friction hitch to back it up. Most of the time I just use the hitch to descend and if I think I'll be coming down too fast, I get a loose footlock on the tail to slow me down. It's too much trouble to put in the 8.

BAB

I usually don't use a descender when exiting. Unless it's a TD and I'm coming down the pull rope, then I'll use a munter.

The few times I've SRT'd on a long rap, I've used backup, justin case my hnads get tired. Why risk it?

I don't SRT much because of the loading issues with my weight.

The only time I use the 8 for descending is SRT down a tall palm after trimming it.
I don't use a hitch to back it up and never worried about it failing. If you are using leather gloves, holding the rope on both sides of the 8 and not trying to descend as fast as possible, I don't see one could get hurt.

Koa, what about if that rat up there in the crown jumped down on your face? Are you sure you'd keep control with your brake hand?

This doesn't mean I think a friction hitch backup is a good idea. I use a ground based belayer.

I put on the 8 only after trimming the palm. Any rats would be gone by then.
BTW, I have had rats jump on me several times. All ran down except this one stupid rat who ran up. It got stuck on my face clawing away trying to get over my hardhat. I had to grap it with my free hand and pull it off my face. I actually had scratch marks inside my lower lip from it. My groundman was freaking out more than me. I did not drop the cane knife I held in my other hand either and finished up trimming the palm.

Last edited:
i have been pondering this question for year's im sure i once saw a group of scouts absailing using a figure 8 and with no back up hitch,also im certain i saw a British celebratie Angela Rippon absailing down a cliff [holiday show] with fig 8 and again no back up..me i back up with a prussik , though im certain i could decend with just a fig 8 and not have a problem ever but why risk it

That was just a hypothetical question, Koa. What I mean to say is, wierd stuff happens in life, and will sometimes take us by suprise. Loss of control may follow, and be very difficult to regain before gravity powered acceleration gets out of hand.

Basically, I agree with you, but as an instructor I often look at the negative possibilities and tend to advocate simple ways to avoid nasty consequences.

For a person of your experience level and high degree of comfort with your equipment the chances are that you will not lose concentration and control, but there lies the danger...I see the exact same tendency in myself.

yeah, supposing a coconut fell on your head on your way down

Very interesting...I didn't think of the Army rapping down from their choppers with guns blazing and with no backup, (rope-wise that is). But, after reading the posts, I think I will use a hitch with the 8 for awhile until I get more comfortable with what I am doing. Tower climbing work does not involve rappelling and it's a new extension for me.

...However, in the movie, the Terminator had no wimpy backup while saving the world....

Back