Describe your perfect wood getting day.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Haul

My perfect wood cutting day:
No back pain
Not going hypoglycemic, having some food
A bottle of Fireball to sip from after it's all done.
Maybe today was close. I thought about calling it off altogether because of the heat, then I changed my mind and went to the drop-off site anyway and found a shady area.

Low and behold! The tree fellers had yesterday dropped some dying oak trees and red elm, just the right size, in 6' to 10' lengths, about 10" to 16" dia. Some of them were dry enough to burn this year after I split them up. None was punky junk. All was solid to the core.

I filled the truck to the peak and hauled the rounds to the splitter in 18" lengths. My truck groaned a little on the way there, but I think she understood. This was a gold mine. My bum leg hurt a little tonight, but a shot of Wild Turkey took care of that.

Cheers!

Perfect day???

• Out'a bed at 5:00 AM.
  • Pour cup'a coffee.
  • Step out onto front porch for morning smoke and pee.
  • Glance over at the wood stacks and notice the wood-fairy brought me another couple cord overnight, split and stacked.
  • Perfect!

If I have to actually do the work... I like it cold, calm and clear. Like a cold mid-November morning, temperature starting out 'round 15°... heavy frost on ground frozen solid... no leaves, weeds or bugs... lots of sun... no wind... work as the day warms to 'round 30° or so... early happy-hour.

October, The leaves are at peak color. There's a good frost this morning and the squirrels are barking because they're pissed that i just dropped an old Red oak on the fence row. My Grandson was sitting in the Polaris Ranger watching,but now he's walking over with his toy chainsaw to help Pap buck it up.
Think i'll fry some loins,fried potatoes and eggs for breakfast, since i killed that nice buck i was after yesterday evening...:)

Latest posts

Back