deseased maple?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajpace

Reaction score
I noticed last year that our 30+ year old sugar maple turned very early, say mid August. This year, the leaves have already turned to a curled-up orange/brown. Some of the leaves have dozens of red "hairs" on them. These "hairs" are about 1/8" long. Our neighbors sugar maple right next to it is perfect. Any ideas?

Hairs? Could be bladder, or spindle gall.
http://www.forestryimages.org/images/768x512\4836028.jpg

As for early fall collor and leaf drop, this is usualy a sign of a problem with the roots.

Does the trunk look like a post in the ground? Girdling root.

Is it just part of the crown, and bark is sloughing off? Girdling root or Vert wilt.

Is the root flair good, and bark holding? Are the terminal growth increments small for several years? soil compaction.

Have an arborist look at it, we can only make educated guesses.

It sounds just like what John has shown as gall on the leaves. You haven't described any other problems so I would say your tree can be helped.

Have a reputable company evaluate the leaves and they could treat the problem and reduce the galls some. Then I would suggest looking at restoring the tree's health by first checking the soil for nutrient deficiencies.

Fertilize if neccesary, mulch to the drip line, etc.

Jay Banks
ISA Certified Arborist
Urban Forester

Latest posts

Back