design of modern chain saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodbreaker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was thinking(day dreaming) the other day at work. It occurred to me that the basic configuraton of chainsaws, oil cap on side up front. fuel cap on side in the back. Has not realy changed much since the mid 80s. The only real change since the 80s has been from round body parts to squared off parts and now, as with Stihl back to rounded off bodies. if you go back and look at the configuration of saws starting in the 30s they've changed every 10 years or so. The old heavy saws of the 30s. The advent of "one-man" saws in the 40s-50s. the "pancake saws" of the 60s-early 70s and ultimately the design that came in the 80s that we're still stuck with now. So why are we in a rut?

Just a random thought
Sod breaker

I guess the modern design with vertical head is gonna be hard to improve on.I like my PP455 ,but with the horizontal head I get burned on the muffler alot.I really like the rounded off look,like the 028s .

I guess the modern design with vertical head is gonna be hard to improve on.I like my PP455 ,but with the horizontal head I get burned on the muffler alot.I really like the rounded off look,like the 028s .

LMAO!!!!!

That "modern" vertical cylinder is one of the oldest designs.

IMHO the design we have now is stuck well just because it works. Putting the fuel tank in the back with the handle helps keep it away from the exhaust heat, oil tank up front helps keep the oil flowing in colder temps. The current cylinder setup allows for easy maintenance and repairs while keeping a good balance on the saw. Now of course this is on most two handed saws, on the one hand limbers the design has changed several times since the 80's due to these saws becoming more compact and lighter weight.

Probably the same reason that a V8 is still a V8. The only thing that has changed is the fuel and air delivery and electronic ignition.

I am glad they have changed though. I think the saw my grandpa had was from the 60's. All of it was motor. It could cut some wood but it would give you a work out. I always joke that it was an outboard with a chain instead of a propeller. What a bugger to start too. It was an old craftsman.

Last edited:
Don't know guys... I'm thinking the old timers probably thought the old two man saws were "good enough" as well. at least until they tryed the "new" saws. I'm been scrathing on paper for a while now trying to figure out what would happen if I put a turbo on a saw and did oil injection like alot of the newer sleds and dirt bikes are. Have one tank for bar oil, one for straight gas and one for two stroke oil. That would be a major change in design. A 35 CC saw would the power of a 65CC without weighing much more then a 40 cc saw. Seems perfect becuase most chainsaws make power off of high RPM HP rather then low speed torque anyway.

Sod breaker

Sure enough boy

Well good I'll bite ..

Would you please explain to me (in simple terms becuase appearently I'm a newbe) why it would be impossible to put a turbo on a chainsaw. And in doing so achieve more power for the weight much like they have been doing for many years in hot rod and even industrial diesel engines.

Randy, Love the signature. Safety gear will not help at all if you are standing on the wrong side of a tree when it falls.

So you are saying that you will add a pressurized oil system to run a journal bearing turbocharger, and add the turbo and all associated plumbing, and the 35cc saw will only weigh the same amount as a 40cc saw? I think it would double the weight of the saw once this was done in the real world.

how big is the feather? can you get me a peacock feather:msp_w00t:

How about crow or seagull?

The topic says this "design of modern chain saws." What you are talking about would a future chainsaw, if possible. Better think liquid cooling, turbo engines run hot., oh, that would add weight.

Latest posts

Back