Iron & Oak 34 ton

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a few more.

245126d1342375394-splitd-jpg

245127d1342375415-splite-jpg

286359d1364071911-vw2-jpg

286360d1364071935-vw3-jpg
That's great if you have a small person to run it, but @ 6 ft., my back aches just looking at that splitter. I put mine up on car ramps for no bending operation.

welli gess i am the pro on this i have and iron&oak for 6 years now split over 900 cords with it
hvq9fk.jpg
then move up to new one
11h6s1g.jpg
it come down to how munch wood you cut this year 150+ cords

I guess I must be a little weird in the head compared to most. I love using a splitter in the vertical fashion. You never have to LIFT anything until it is split to a decent size/weight. I guess bending over doesn't bother me.

Iron & Oak

Did they go out of business recently? I know they are part of the company that makes Brave log splitters.

Horizontal for me

Since I have to leave my property to cut wood, it has to go into the truck. From there, I prefer to let gravity do the bulk of the work. I split directly out of the truck. Never throw the wood on the ground if you don't have to.

[video=youtube;Vt-s-iNmf8w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt-s-iNmf8w[/video]

and I LOVE my little 5-ton Homelite electric. Rounds are generally under 24 in., but I have split 33 in. douglas fir and 28 in. oak. The foot-pedal mod greatly reduces bending and back strain.

I am working on a stand to put it level with the bed of the truck so I can use the tailgate as a cradle (I'll put a small table on the outboard side). From the splitter, it goes into the wheelbarrow or directly to the stack.

Craig

Since I have to leave my property to cut wood, it has to go into the truck. From there, I prefer to let gravity do the bulk of the work. I split directly out of the truck. Never throw the wood on the ground if you don't have to.

[video=youtube;Vt-s-iNmf8w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt-s-iNmf8w[/video]

and I LOVE my little 5-ton Homelite electric. Rounds are generally under 24 in., but I have split 33 in. douglas fir and 28 in. oak. The foot-pedal mod greatly reduces bending and back strain.

I am working on a stand to put it level with the bed of the truck so I can use the tailgate as a cradle (I'll put a small table on the outboard side). From the splitter, it goes into the wheelbarrow or directly to the stack.

Craig

I hope you don't have a lot of wood to split. While I like the foot modification, that was painfully slow.

I hope you don't have a lot of wood to split. While I like the foot modification, that was painfully slow.

I actually made this demo to show that these little splitters will do a lot more than people think. You'll note that the actual splitting time was fairly short, the rest was handling, walking to the stack and generally dawdling. That was a relatively large round compared to what I'm usually working on, making for a fair amount of handling. It will get easier with the splitter at bed height. I usually load into the wheelbarrow, which reduces the back and forth to the stack. A full load (3/4-1 cord) usually takes 3-4 hours to split, including spacing out and enjoying the day. I burn 3-5 cords per year, so the time spent splitting is not a big deal. If I was trying to do this for a living, I'd have my head examined (or invest in a firewood processor).:laugh:

I guess what I'm saying is the splitter is faster than I am.

Last edited:
I actually made this demo to show that these little splitters will do a lot more than people think. You'll note that the actual splitting time was fairly short, the rest was handling, walking to the stack and generally dawdling. That was a relatively large round compared to what I'm usually working on, making for a fair amount of handling. It will get easier with the splitter at bed height. I usually load into the wheelbarrow, which reduces the back and forth to the stack. A full load (3/4-1 cord) usually takes 3-4 hours to split, including spacing out and enjoying the day. I burn 3-5 cords per year, so the time spent splitting is not a big deal. If I was trying to do this for a living, I'd have my head examined (or invest in a firewood processor).:laugh:

I guess what I'm saying is the splitter is faster than I am.

Fair enough. I wasn't trying to bash you. I'm glad to hear you enjoy doing it - makes it all worth it when you are nice and warm in the winter.

But they are a lot like cats. Impossible to keep them on task for longer that 3 seconds.

That's not true if they have a genuine interest... at least it's not true with that boy. He has a natural interest (almost an obsession) with power tools and equipment, especially engine powered. He just turned 5 in January and has been running that splitter for over two years now (supervised). He's been driving the lawn tractors for near that long also. His favorite "toys" are the various tools, tool kits, and mock power equipment we've gotten for him. At 4-years-old he stood for days watching the the "big" power equipment resurface our road... and would approach the "guys" when they shut-down or took a break, asking questions and touching the "stuff". If you don't keep an eye on him he'll pull my tools from the box or bench and start taking things apart (he calls it fixing them)... I even had to buy him his own creeper so he could roll around under the vehicles with me when I'm making repairs or doing maintenance.

Give that boy a job requiring any sort of power tool or equipment an he'll stay "on task" until you take it away from him... and he'll fight you for it when you do. He carries some sort of "toy" tool or equipment wherever he goes, whatever he's doing... in his pocket, back of his electric gator, and now he insists I install a trailer hitch on his new gas powered ATV so he can pull a trailer and/or equipment behind.

Just a month before his third birthday he was watching me run the log splitter... I turned to move some splits and he walked up, placed a log on the beam, and threw the lever. Lesson learned by me... never take your eyes off that boy when there is power equipment running or plugged in. And what's really amazing is the certain "respect" he has for power equipment; for example, whenever I'm using something he automatically stands behind and slightly to the side of me... something I never taught him, he just does it on his own. The "danger" comes if you set something down for a minute or so... 'cause he'll go for it like flies to sh...

Now that's cool. You most definitely have a keeper there. That's the kinda boy that would be hard to keep a gun away from, short of locking it up.

Hmmmmm.....
Unlike my oldest son who was shooting well before age 5, he hasn't shown any interest in the guns until just recently. Just the last month or so I've began getting the "starting to notice" questions from him... questions like why is one bigger than the other, why the ammunition looks different for that one, why one is louder than another, and he's starting to fiddle with some of the reloading equipment when we're downstairs together. When he's ready he'll ask to touch or handle a gun, I figure he'll be shooting by summer's end... but, if not, I won't pressure. I've always been of the mind that kids will let you know in their own particular way when they're "ready" (or even desire) to try something, and forcing or hurrying it just makes for a bad experience for both the child and parent. Heck, my daughter is 16 and just this past winter finally asked me to teacher her to shoot (to her mother's dismay)... so when the boy sees his sister "learning" this summer it might spark something more in him, or might not (shrug).

Did they go out of business recently? I know they are part of the company that makes Brave log splitters.

Yes! They have. Talked to them couple weeks ago to order parts. Hard to sell $1700-$2000 dollar splitters when tsc / hd/lowes sells them for $1200

Latest posts

Back