Determining Transfer/Intake Locations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agr516

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
When measuring a saw's existing port heights, how do you know exactly when the port actually opens on the transfers and intake? I guess you can see easy enough through the exhaust side to determine when the piston first drops below the top of the port but what about transfers and intake?

Look through the plug hole or exhaust for transfers,hold the throttle open and look through the carb for the intake on a stihl. Huskys the intake is a little more difficult.

Flashlight and through the plug hole for transfers. On some saws you can look through the exhaust port for transfers as well.

I will give the flashlight a try through the plug hole like you guys say. Id imagine those transfers would be tough to see indeed.

Easiest way is with the entire carburetor assembly off the saw as well as the muffler. Also, you'll want to put a degree wheel on the PTO shaft so you can write down the numbers.

I have used a .002 feeler gauge across the top of piston on some saws. Others there just is not room.

I do it the way redfin does it.. a thin feeler gauge really helps getting the numbers consistent... I usually use a .010.. it really doesn't make much difference in the reading.

Back