Detroit GTG - March 15th

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mi gtg

I would like to try to get there I dont have anything great but would be nice to meet some folks. I missed big daves GTG last minute. I hear that he puts on a really nice show.
jason

For those of you who have not yet had the chance to run a 2153/NE346, I'll have my 2153 (non-cat) there if you're interested in trying one out.

And I think you'll find my rates are very reasonable... :D

Just a bump for the thread.

The weather forecast is looking OK, not great, but it should work. There might be a thaw during the week, but it shouldn't be too nasty.

I think we'll push the start time back to 10am, so folks won't have to rush to get there.

Directions:

- Redford Cemetery is located on the east side of Telegraph Rd. between 5 Mile and 6 Mile roads. It doesn't have an address that Mapquest or GoogleMaps recognizes, though. If you want to print directions or have something to put in your GPS, the Little Caesars Pizza right across the street is 15839 Telegraph Rd, Redford, MI 48239.

- I-96 to Telegraph Rd. (north) works

- I-696 to Telegraph Rd. (south) works

- There are two entrances to the property. The south entrance will be closed and I'll put up orange cones, since some of what we're cutting is located on the driveway there. The north entrance will have a conspicuous sign of some sort right before you get to it.

I might try to make it. Sounds like fun. Only problem is I only have a 20" bar for the 2156. I do have a 28" on the MS 360 pro but I just cleaned it up as I want to sell it to help buy a Bigger Jonny Red. I have only been here a few weeks and have already made my first purchase from Baileys. Got a mew muffler to mod for the 2156. And want a Big Saw although I don't have a use for one:chainsaw:

Billy

Just a quick bump. One more day to go.

Weather should be fine, though the ground may be a bit soft. The plan is to cut some cookies for fun and then do a bit of actual work, starting with clean-up of the dropped trees. If folks still want to, we can get some other stuff cut up and maybe take down a couple smaller trees.

If anyone wants my phone # to coordinate or in case you get lost, shoot me a PM.

Hope you guys have a good time out there, I am bummed I will not be able to join y'all. Someday maybe we can have a GTG closer to Grand Rapids.

As soon as our photographer gets the pics uploaded to Picasa so I can snatch them, I'll post up the pics.

Thanks to all who made it out there today!! It was a nice change from being stuck in doors all week and, frankly, all winter. And we got some good work done out there, too!!

Brandon glad to hear all went well

Sorry I could not make it up. diesel fuel is a real killer for making day trips right now. We are all patiently awaiting photos.

A few observations and some pictures.

First, as always, it is always nice to finally meet some AS folks in person. We know, just from our time online, that we’re a strange lot. Meeting in person confirms this.

Second, everybody who runs the Dolmar 7900 comes away pleased with it. But we knew this already. If Dolmar could ever get their act together…

Third, the Homelite 330 and 540, despite a marked difference in displacement, weigh about the same. The 330 feels about as solid as a saw can feel, though.

Fourth, this was the inaugural run of the 154DN. The Husqvarna 154, a 1984 50cc-class saw that runs right about with the Dolmar 5100s in stock form, now runs strong as can be. I think that everybody who ran it came away impressed. This is going to be my go-to firewood saw from here on out.

Lastly, the 076 running 3/8" skip, an 8t sprocket, and a 42" bar had to be leaned on to really load the saw and get it to smooth out in the cut when buried in silver maple. I guess the rakers need to come down even more on that chain, or that a 9t sprocket is in order...

OK, here are the pictures!

This is where we were working:

GTG_0Medium.jpg

Early in the day, Bowtech set to work with the Homelite 540:

GTG_1Medium.jpg

Undaunted by the size of the timber, I set to work with the Echo CS3400. It was not a quick process.

GTG_2Medium.jpg

Mr. Smith’s monument, though interesting in design, was not made of a stone that lends itself to use as a burial marker…especially in an urban area with acid rain, road salt, and other stuff like that. Note the irritating little self-seeded tree/shrub/thing growing behind his stone. It is a perpetual problem keeping these little buggers cut back/pulled out/under control.

GTG_3Medium.jpg

By this point CaseyForrest and Bowtech have made some progress on the tree. The sawdust added some much appreciated traction to the snowy hillside.

GTG_4Medium.jpg

Filling up the 076. With the 42” bar buried, it got roughly two cuts per tank in the large piece shown in the next picture. Not fuel-efficient!

GTG_5Medium.jpg

Here we have proof that the answer to every question is not necessarily the MS361. Sorry, guys.

GTG_6Medium.jpg

For those who have not spent time with the longer bars, the combination of an outboard clutch and a long, heavy bar makes chain installation and adjustment go easiest as a three-hand job.

GTG_7Medium.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back