device advise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old dude

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Guys--
What do you believe are the most useful innovations (labor savers) out there? I'm getting too long in the tooth to be doing this much longer but have found that with the aid of a few simple tools such as a pickeroon,a jet-sled a sidekick rope retrieval device, micro-pulleys a big shot ect--ect-- that I can usually execute a job in about the same time and with less effort than many of the younger competition. What devices (preferably simple and cheap like the above) does anyone know of that would amplify the efficientcy of a standard rope and saddle crew with pickup?

Arborcart!

Hey,its just a wheeled trolly that has four fat tyres and some pins that help hold the wood on.Its great for hauling your gear into the yard and the wood out,its also great for transporting trees to be planted.You could make one without too much strife if you had an arc welder.Check out the Sherrill cataloge,I think they sell em

Blocks, 3/8" steel cable and chokers. If you can move it with a pickup, do it.

Im not too old yet but at 38 Ive been climbing for 20 years and 3 years ago decided to invest some money in keeping ME from burnout. A lot of this stuff is costly and probably not what you are looking for but here are a few that If I had to downsize WOULD NOT Go....

As you said, a big shot with zingit line, but combined with a pair of marbar ascenders. I picked a set up on ebay kinda out of curisity, man I love them. Even on take downs I use them, I can get 90' up in the canopy in 5 mins safely and withou breaking a sweat.
My bobcat mini loader can go through a backyard gate and can pick up 500lbs of wood or brush and put it on the truck and if you are carefull about your turns wont mess the place up.
I picked up a morbark model 17 drum chipper for $6000. Man it rocks and will chip 18 wood just awesome.

We get so much done now and am not dead at the end of the day. As long as you can get work you will never regret better equipment......

I forgot one of the best, cheapest devices, my CAMELBACK. I used to wait till my mouth was dry before I had someone tie on my jug, by then you are already dehydrated. Now I sip water after every cut and keep fresh all day long...................

Best move I made was a grapple truck no mo dolly,
chipping too slow,then bucket man that was a great move
set sights and goals and attain them was pickup 2 years
before a bucket then grapple no looking back make it fun
again and not a back breaker.

Change over your ascent to SRT. The Frog Walker system balances costs and efficiency very nicely. You probably have some of the components already.

Use 7/16" dia rope. Less weight to yard around in the tree. Every little bit counts.

Im not too old yet but at 38 Ive been climbing for 20 years and 3 years ago decided to invest some money in keeping ME from burnout. A lot of this stuff is costly and probably not what you are looking for but here are a few that If I had to downsize WOULD NOT Go....

As you said, a big shot with zingit line, but combined with a pair of marbar ascenders. I picked a set up on ebay kinda out of curisity, man I love them. Even on take downs I use them, I can get 90' up in the canopy in 5 mins safely and withou breaking a sweat.
My bobcat mini loader can go through a backyard gate and can pick up 500lbs of wood or brush and put it on the truck and if you are carefull about your turns wont mess the place up.
I picked up a morbark model 17 drum chipper for $6000. Man it rocks and will chip 18 wood just awesome.

We get so much done now and am not dead at the end of the day. As long as you can get work you will never regret better equipment......

I like it -- mars bars. Just what this old cowboy needs to try next. Thanks.

I like it -- mars bars. Just what this old cowboy needs to try next. Thanks.

I love my MarBars, I use them almost every day.

If you can footlock, then just get the top set, the bottoms are troublesome untill there is enough rope for them to self-tail.

The GRCS, while not "cheap" pays for it'self in a month or two.

Latest posts

Back