DHW how to??????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm guessing it saves me $30-$40 off my bill a month. Kinda hard to figure out because every other month the bill is estimated and every other month is actual reading.

Estimates are based off of previous year's usage too.

Put it this way, My bills average anywhere from $100- $130 when using electric to heat the water.

They average $60- $85 when using the Shaver to heat it.

Last edited:
I would have to agree with Windtalker's set up. Mine is an identical set up and works great!

I think it is a better method of heating the water, versus the side arm exchanger. Pump only runs when you need hot water.

The time to get hot water to the faucet should not be any different if you were using electric/gas to heat the water, since all the hot water is coming from the water heater.

Yea, that setup works great, ran it for 1 1/2 yrs. no problems, but this year I needed those two lines to seperate the house and garage, one set to house only and other to garage and DWH, (did'nt want to trench another set of lines), built a side arm exchanger and installed, removed the coil from woodburner, installed that pump (taco 007) on the woodburner, fired the shaver up yesterday 12:00 noon, shut breaker off to hot water tank, wife ran two loads laundry plus two showers last night, and 6:00am this morning kids showered and said there's plenty of hot water (teenage daughter at least 30-40 min. shower), I know it's only one day so I'll be keeping tabs on it, a couple friends say they hav'nt ran out yet and one is going on his 8th yr.

Thought about shutting off breaker to the hot water heater, didn't do it yet and found a good use for it. You know that sound the water heater makes when it fires the element? Well that sound is an audible warning that you need to add wood to the stove. Just set the electric thermostat quite a bit lower than the dhw thermostat, if your water temp drops to that threshhold you'll hear it....Lanny

wah wah wah wah water heater... wah wah wah wah furnace... wah wah wah wah log splitter.. wah wah wah wah red bull

Last edited:
Very creative setups, guys.....now, remember...

Keep that relief as close to the water heater as possible. Explosions have been caused by the relief valve not picking up the temperature from the tank if you are still using electric/gas to heat water.

Bronze body pumps are a must when working with domestic water. The oxygen in a domestic water system/untreated open hot water heat system (OWB) will rust out a cast iron pump in no time...

Red Bull

If anyone saw the crap that was previously on this post, that was not me. I left my computer on and some ass typed that crap, sorry...Lanny

Last edited:
Mac B., I have power to the switch, then from the switch to the lower thermostat in the tank, then from there to the pump. I still have the original main power to the tank. To go back to original, just switch the added switch to 'off' and turn the hot water tank breaker back 'on'.

We save about $25 - $35 per month on our electric bill.

mtfallsmikey, what makes you think this is an 'open' system?

Keith

Mac B., I have power to the switch, then from the switch to the lower thermostat in the tank, then from there to the pump. I still have the original main power to the tank. To go back to original, just switch the added switch to 'off' and turn the hot water tank breaker back 'on'.

We save about $25 - $35 per month on our electric bill.

mtfallsmikey, what makes you think this is an 'open' system?

Keith

Well, is it?...I don't know if it's an open system or not....just sharing knowledge from my tiny brain...been involved with plumbng,electrical, HVAC, for only about 35 yrs. or so...

:bang:

Back