Diamond sharpening bit use video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roncoinc

Official Stihl Disser
Reaction score
After having members asking how the bits work and how to use them i asked the powers that be about a solution and was suggested to make a video and post it.
after i will put a link to this thread in my sig for those in the future that want to know about them.
these are called diamond bits,no matter where you buy them thats what they are called....do they have real diamond bits in them ?? i dont think so but they are shiny and sharp :)
i typically get about six sharpenings on an 18in chain from them..more on just touching up,less if chain is really dull..these will give a nice sharp edge,better than i can do on my grinder even.with the rotorry sharpening there is no metal pushed to the sides and they leave a fine edge..they dont take metal off very quick so a chain can last longer,and keeping both sides of the chain equal is easier.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xr991TeS0Cs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xr991TeS0Cs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Thanks for the video. I've considered getting a diamond bit to use on my Dremel to see what kind of an edge I can get. It does appear that the edge can be honed to a very sharp edge using the bit.

I thought that I might use the diamond bit to touch up the chain after filing in order to remove rough edges on the chrome that might promote some peeling of the chrome when it is first used.

Have you seen any improvement in cutting speed when using the finely honed cutters?

I've seen an 'attachment' at the box store that will position the bit on the cutter. Do you have any thoughts about using such an attachment?

Ooh, I just bet that thing would be wicked with one of those Husky clamshell file guides. It'd tear the rollers up, I'm sure, but it'd be deadly accurate as far as holding angles is concerned. I wonder if there'd be a way to put a Pyrex piece in there to let the shaft ride on?

The attachment I've seen is a steel piece that positions the stone below the edge of the cutter. The stone rotates in the attachment at a fixed point below the edge, so the amount of hook remains the same.

I'm guessing mine will be here tomorrow.
Hopefully this storm takes some trees down so I can dull some chains. :)

Thanks for the video. I've considered getting a diamond bit to use on my Dremel to see what kind of an edge I can get. It does appear that the edge can be honed to a very sharp edge using the bit.

I thought that I might use the diamond bit to touch up the chain after filing in order to remove rough edges on the chrome that might promote some peeling of the chrome when it is first used.

Have you seen any improvement in cutting speed when using the finely honed cutters?

I've seen an 'attachment' at the box store that will position the bit on the cutter. Do you have any thoughts about using such an attachment?

I did not think a file was that rough..i think using the bit after a file would be redundant.
as far as speed,after a couple inches of wood any advantage i think woud go away quick..depends on the quality of the steel in the chain would be my guess..
i tried one of those attachments a while ago,did not like it..a good eyeball is all thats needed.
you could prob get one ebay AU cheap enough to give it a try and play with one and see what it does..

I'm guessing mine will be here tomorrow.
Hopefully this storm takes some trees down so I can dull some chains. :)

You meen thier not there yet ??
oh,thats right,only 100 miles away ..takes longer than x country !!

You meen thier not there yet ??
oh,thats right,only 100 miles away ..takes longer than x country !!
LOL. Sometimes it does take longer. They send it down to the cities 1st, I think ? :confused:

I got some of those from the home depot online. milescraft makes them, the made my chains sharper than the chain grinder i have. they are 2.99 for two in a pack, you can choose between 5/32 3/16 and 7/32 diamond bits. milescraft is the manufacture who makes power tool accessories.

I got some of those from the home depot online. milescraft makes them, the made my chains sharper than the chain grinder i have. they are 2.99 for two in a pack, you can choose between 5/32 3/16 and 7/32 diamond bits. milescraft is the manufacture who makes power tool accessories.

Tnx for making me look good with stating a price that is incorect and not mentioning shipping.
I looked them up,price is now $4 for two PLUS shipping brings total to more than what i sell them for..
the deal will get better the more you buy from them but i'm just trying to get some out there for people to try at a good price.

Tnx for making me look good with stating a price that is incorect and not mentioning shipping.
I looked them up,price is now $4 for two PLUS shipping brings total to more than what i sell them for..
the deal will get better the more you buy from them but i'm just trying to get some out there for people to try at a good price.

sorry for that. i was trying to say that those diamond bit are very good for chain sparpening.

Latest posts

Back