Did I just pay to have my chains ruined?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soilarch

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Never took my chains into the store to get "sqaured up" before.

Decided why not, for $10 I got two sharpened and evened out.

I get them back and the edge of every cutter is black/discolored. Granted, it's uniform...but I've always lived by the rule of thumb that if you're changing the metals color you're changing/ruining it's heat treat and temper. I know for a fact that it holds true for common knife steels, axes, and lawnmower blades. But does the chrome layer on chainsaw cutters make this an exception to the rules?

Or "Did I just pay to have my chains ruined?"

You don't want the teeth turning blue-getting to hot. If it's just a little blue and you can take material off and get past that you should be ok. BTW I sharpen my own chains.
I'd let them know so they can correct the error of their ways-maybe make good on their mistake in some way.

Nahh, they're not ruined. The temper changed on the cutting edge? Likely.

I would use them, when they need touched up, grab a file and you'll be all set. Might take a few filings to get back to the properly hardened part of the tooth.

Are you able to post a couple of pics?

If the teeth are 'black and discolored' the shop burned them by grinding them too fast.

It's not just a matter of setting the angles and clamping the wheel down on the teeth. The grinders require a light touch and patience. This dealer does not have that.

I had a problem when I first started using a grinder and the Oregon rep advised me on the light touch. It worked.

If you you are an old Boy Scout and learned Morse Code, think of it like all 'dots' and no 'dashes'.

Philbert

Sounds bad, have you tried cutting anything with them? What kind of shop did you take you chain(s) to?

Normally sharpen them by hand with file.

One is a STIHL chain one is an Oregon chain.

Stihl chain had about half the cutters left. The Oregon chain about about 1/3 of the cutters. Haven't ever used that one, it came with the used saw.

The place is a STIHL dealership, and this is likely the last straw. Haven't ever been fond of the attitude there. And you can buy STIHL files there cheaper than you can brand X. A 24" Oregan chain is $2.50 cheaper than a STIHL chain.

The only thing I gained, I HOPE, is that all the cutters are the uniform length, and if I had gotten off with my angles they're back to factory.

It'll take at least 5 or 6 sharpenings to get out of the black.

Can't post pics as my camera battery is dead and the charger is 2 hours away...cell phone doesn't take good enough pics.

Haven't used them yet.

Last edited:
Before I had a grinder, all I ever did was file by hand. Sure, the cutters might not be exact, but I never had any issue with the bar not cutting true.

Now, I haven't cut anything over 46" in diameter. Uniform cutters might matter more in the big stuff.

If the teeth are 'black and discolored' the shop burned them by grinding them too fast.

It's not just a matter of setting the angles and clamping the wheel down on the teeth. The grinders require a light touch and patience. This dealer does not have that.

I had a problem when I first started using a grinder and the Oregon rep advised me on the light touch. It worked.

If you you are an old Boy Scout and learned Morse Code, think of it like all 'dots' and no 'dashes'.

Philbert
I have to agree with Philbert here. When I FIRST started sharpening with my Grinder, I took too much off the Cutter at one time, and that was the Result. Once I got it Mastered, you can't tell if it was ground or not.
One thing to Remeber, when you take a Chain to Most Dealers, I said Most not All, are in it for the Money, and the faster that they can grind down a Customer's Chain, is the Sale of a new one.
I worked in a Repair Shop for a while, and how some of those guys whaled down on that Grinder Handle, made me Glad that was anot my Chain that they where working with.
Nothing for you to worry about. Your Chains will still cut wood, with no Problems.My first few sharpenings with my Grinder, and My Chains, I had the same results as you with your Chains.
Bruce.

Not saying this is the case here, but sometimes when I sharpen, part of the tooth turns black. But it's just the sap/oil buildup, and you can tell by taking a wire brush or even your fingernail to it, it will scratch right off leaving a nice silver tooth.

grinder-blackened teeth

A heavy hand and a thick cut with the grinder will overheat the thin metal of the tooth every time. Another cause of burned teeth is a grinding wheel that is clogged or glazed. The dressing brick needs to be used frequently to clean and contour the edge of the wheel. Many shops assign the chain grinding to the shop flunky and pressure him or her to knock out the job in a hurry. For the $5 to $10 they get for the job they have to do it in a hurry.

sounds pretty typical... long ago when I sent my chains to be sharpened. got em back with lots less tooth...

also chain would never hold sharpness for very long. they overheated the tooth... losing temper and ground off way too much material.

at the rate shop took off material... a chain was only good for 3-4 sharpenings. that's about the time I learned how to hand sharpen...

Latest posts

Back