Did Mr. Dolmar flunk math?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windthrown

361 Junkie
Reaction score
I would think that a modern multinational German manufacturing company like Dolmar (or their parent company, Makita) would be better at math than the average 14 year old in America. But it seems that they are not. Looking at the Dolmar web site, and specifically at the new PS-350 and PS-420 chainsaws, the weights in pounds are in error as compared to their stated weights in kilograms. I have pointed this out to Dolmar several times, but they seem to just want to ignore me, and/or they prefer to show off their pride in showing off their really crappy math skills. One has to wonder...

This is directly from them Dolmar web site www.dolmarpowerproducts.com:

Dolmar PS-350: Net weight 4.7 kg (9.0 lbs)
Dolmar PS-420: Net weight 4.8 kg (9.7 lbs)

Now in junior high school, I learned that one kilorgam is equivalent to 2.2 pounds. So in fact, the weights of these two saws should be stated as (if the KG weights are indeed correct):

Dolmar PS-350: Net weight 4.7 kg (10.3 lb)
Dolmar PS-420: Net weight 4.8 kg (10.6 lb)

Also note that my mother who was an English teacher says that lb should not be plural. Maybe the folks at Dolmar that manage their spiffy web site should go to remedial English classes, as well as remedial math class. Or they should hire someone like me to fix their web site, lest they come off as being a bunch of morons like those in Asia hawking Chinese knock-off chainsaws.

Shaking head... :confused: :confused: :confused:

Dolmar, you can do better than that!

Last edited:
I would think that a modern multinational German manufacturing company like Dolmar (or their parent company, Makita) would be better at math than the average 14 year old in America. But it seems that they are not. Looking at the Dolmar web site, and specifically at the new PS-350 and PS-420 chainsaws, the weights in pounds are in error as compared to their stated weights in kilograms. I have pointed this out to Dolmar several times, but they seem to just want to ignore me, and/or they prefer to show off their pride in showing off their really crappy math skills. One has to wonder...

Now in junior high school, I learned that one kilorgam is equivalent to 2.2 pounds. So in fact, the weights of these two saws should be stated as (if the KG weights are indeed correct):

Also note that my mother who was an English teacher says that lb should not be plural. Maybe the folks at Dolmar that manage their spiffy web site should go to remedial English classes, as well as remedial math class. Or they should hire someone like me to fix their web site, lest they come off as being a bunch of morons like those in Asia hawking Chinese knock-off chainsaws.

Just checked the Redmax, Stihl, & Husqvarna websites and they all say lbs instead of lb??

The use of lb. or lbs. depends on the context it is used in. My Husky 385 weighs 18 pounds. Or I have an 18 pound Husky 385. The useage in the specs seems correct to me. I will admit barely passing English classes though.

Uhhhhh, Never give AN inch.

So, why don't y'all go straight to the head of that remedial English class and smile at Mom.

NEXT!!

Buzzer sounds:

EEEEEEEEEEH

From the book, Sometimes a Great Notion: "Never give a inch."

1) its a quote
2) its a quote
3) its a quote

Yes, its Ken Kesey's way of sneering English. On purpose. He meses with your head in that book, especially geographically if you have ever lived west of Eugene, OR.

WT,

Niko's napping. Why you callin' him out?

Joat

The Troll is not napping from what his wife has told me. Sadly, he is busy with her medial issues. Also I think he would agree with me. I am a 3rd generation bone-headed Amurikan of Norse descent.

Also in general response to Larry the Cable Guy's statement:

Never give (Dolmar) a inch, and certainly not a pound! :greenchainsaw:

The Troll is not napping from what his wife has told me. Sadly, he is busy with her medial issues. Also I think he would agree with me. I am a 3rd generation bone-headed Amurikan of Norse descent.

Also in general response to Larry the Cable Guy's statement:

Never give (Dolmar) a inch, and certainly not a pound! :greenchainsaw:

WT,

Norway! What is the time there?

I'm sure when you post a spec like that, a transendental, intergraphical, beta particle, super high frequency, intermodal, intermodular, internet type source awakens him from his late night slumber and causes him to miss his much needed rest.

And, best wishes, as always, to Witchy.

Do I have to spell out everything?

Joat

He meses with your head in that book, especially geographically if you have ever lived west of Eugene, OR.

It's "messes".....as long as we're being picky. Oh, and kilogram instead of "kilorgram". Now do YOU need remedial English or just a reminder to use the spell checker?;)

If the US just fully adopted what is the international standard and finally did away with a dead end system of measure, there wouldn't be a problem.....
Even the Poms finally gave up, and they invented it.... :monkey:

and now I've lobbed that grenade, I'll just exit, stage right :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
If the US just fully adopted what is the international standard and finally did away with a dead end system of measure, there wouldn't be a problem.....
Even the Poms finally gave up, and they invented it.... :monkey:

and now I've lobbed that grenade, I'll just exit, stage right :greenchainsaw:

but remember, the US is the "mother of all nations"
and as a leader of "the free world" everyone, every dog
and every spider must speak english and call themselves
christians or risk gettin' blown to bits...

or something like that

but remember, the US is the "mother of all nations"
and as a leader of "the free world" everyone, every dog
and every spider must speak english and call themselves
christians or risk gettin' blown to bits...

or something like that

Fw,

Be careful. I hope Ike doesn't blow out that candle you're wavin'.

Joat

It's "messes".....as long as we're being picky. Oh, and kilogram instead of "kilorgram". Now do YOU need remedial English or just a reminder to use the spell checker?;)

Well now, I ain't sellin' no buzz saws on no newfangled internet thang like them thar at Doltmar, see? I wood 'spect them thar to know what their saws weigh, in stones, kilos, pounds, or whatever.

As for the typos, well, I am on my 3rd or 4th beer now. To hell with spell checkers... too dang slow. :cheers:

Fw,

Be careful. I hope Ike doesn't blow out that candle you're wavin'.

Joat

just thinkin' out loud...

and i'm too far north for ike... though we could use the rain
as much as the 1 million evacuees could use a place to stay

Back