My latest rant on Dolmar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not if you have a Oregon drivers licence...

Yes, that is the secret. I know a guy......actually I only know of guys who kept their Oregon licenses when they got their Warshington ones, and then they went sales tax free for a while. HOWEVER, you must remember, we don't have income tax, so I don't mind the sales tax. Now hitchhike north and check it out. Wear raingear.

Here is what I found. On the Dolmar web site, there are 8 dealers listed withing 40 miles of the Portland, Oregon area. Of those, 2 have phone numbers only ring or have weird message machines. That is after 5 days of calling every day. 2 more dealers said flat out that they no longer or do not sell any Dolmar products. Of the four dealers left, 2 said that they did not stock any Dolmar saws, but they can order them. One of those actually had one Dolmar cut-off saw in stock. So I guess that was something. That left two dealers, one in Vancouver and one in Portland that actually had any Dolmar chainsaws in stock at all. One had a lineup of 2 saws: the ps34 and the ps341. Some selection! Wow! The other dealer had 4 or 5 of the smaller saws (two 300 series and two 400 series saws), and she was not sure what ones they had, really. She seemed to be confused. She also said that she could not order a 5100s, as the distributor had the 3 available flagged as committed..

I had the same problem trying to get my new 5100.

I live in the interior BC and according to the Dolmar site, there are 6 dealers within 60 miles of me. Problem is that 4 of them just service Dolmar, 1 is out of it completely & the last one (where i got my saw) just happened to have 1 in stock. The owner actually had it for himself (had never used it) and so I twisted his arm to let me have it ;)

I think the problem lies in Dolmar not advertising. Like the shop owner said to me: No one knows about them, no one comes in looking. Sure he can offer them as an alternative, but if you're a small shop you cant afford to have 20 saws sitting around just hoping someone will come in looking.

Now, this bodes well for those of us who like/want/have Dolmars because we can get a top quality saw at a much reduced price. But its chicken & egg: the saw wont sell itself without some advertising & once they start advertising it is going to drive up the price!

Years later, the same old story...

It makes me want to become a Dolmar dealer, so I can share the joy of Dolmar products with others...wonder what it would take, investment-wise...

The dealer near Springport stocks most of them up to the 7900, and I'm sure he'd order anything he didn't have in stock. I think he stocks 5100s, but the farmers around here buy a lot more PS-510. He probably still has a few PS-341 for $180 or so. PS-350 is going to cost quite a bit more. Open six days a week and fixes them too.

Latest posts

Back