Did my Pine Tree die?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csozio

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out if my pine tree died. The tree is probably 15 to 20 years old and has always been in good health. We are used to seeing it shed some of its needles in the winter season but there would always be some green needles remaining. This year most of the needles have fallen and those that remain are a brownish color. The tree is not brittle and there are no obvious (to a lay person) signs of other issues such as bugs or fungus. We enjoy the tree and the shade it provides and would hate to loose it. I thought I read some where (on the internet) that pine trees can go through a year where they shed all their needles -which would imply that the tree was not dead. But, I don't know. I would appreciate any thoughts! Thank you! FYI -we live in southern New Jersey an area good for pine trees.

To me it kind of looks like a white pine ( hard to be sure without a close up of the needles), what was the climate like for the last few summers where you are? I know the droughts of two summers prior to this past one gave our pines a hard time. Also what are those other shrubs planted near your pine by the driveway? Any sites on the tree with resin or sap leaking?

To me it kind of looks like a white pine ( hard to be sure without a close up of the needles), what was the climate like for the last few summers where you are? I know the droughts of two summers prior to this past one gave our pines a hard time. Also what are those other shrubs planted near your pine by the driveway? Any sites on the tree with resin or sap leaking?

a birch, a butterfly bush and some boxwoods?

Root injury or otherwise, ie products containing 2-4d from the chemicals you use to eradicate the broad leaf weeds from your lawn as volitization and non target drift issues can readily occur during warmer weather using this stuff, water stress and heat from last summer and even the poor air quality New Jersey enjoys are all noninfectious causes that manifest as top dieback, decline, and stunted growth in white pine. They often show symptoms before other species.
Otherwise known as “White pine decline”. Google it for more.

discalimer: have your local state run plant problem clinic identify the causal agent. I'm just some guy expensing advice with a bag over his head.

From the pictures we can only surmise so much. But your lawn seems to get presidence. Keep in mind the grass roots and the trees roots share the same space within the soil. The fertilizer you are giving your lawn is bad for the tree.

Proper tree care information is abundant in cyberspace but you can start with

http://www.treesaregood.com/

Sorry but your tree looks very dead. If you scratch the bark on the twigs and it is moist and green inside there may technically be hope, but it would be good to start planning for replacement.

White pines in my area will turn brown suddenly and die. This is usually attributed to issues with the roots.

thanks guys. I have wanted to get rid of it for years, now I have a reason. I do use scotts products to maintain the lawn and have been doing so for 15 years. The tree started turning brown this winter, and has always been healthy.

There is a birch in my neighbors yard that got a fungus this past year and is now dead, but there were no signs of the fungus on my pine.

Thanks again for the help.

now, what to put there.......

Latest posts

Back