Did search, questions remain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Mesthene

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a loop of Bailey's 20NK that now has unequal cutter lengths.
Can I turn it into ripping chain by filing the cutters to 10 degrees instead of 35 degrees? Do I leave the rakers @ .025? When I file it, do I maintain the 10 degree down-angle on the heel of the file or do I go to 0 degrees? Is cutter length more or less important?
Is this a dumb idea for occasional ripping? I have a saw that runs 3/8 chain, is this inherently better for ripping? Will it make much difference if I try to make a semi-chisel ripping chain, or should I file one of my round chisel chains (3/8 or .325) instead?
Or should I forget the whole thing because this is for casual, occasional ripping, not for milling?

Just try it :) There is not "perfect" ripping chain - all depends on the saw and the wood. I've tried chisel, semi-chisel and chipper; don't see a lot of difference, partly because any time I change a chain it feels so much better:)

0-10 degrees, grind the side of the cutter top plate off the plate off every few pairs. Depth guages? I see mine about at about 30, but that depends on your saw. I'm using a 660. As for the downward angle, it all depends on how you want your chain profile to look. I'm either slightly down or flat. Chisel is going to have a side profile with more of a hook, but semi chisel will look more vertical.

Equalize your cutter length... It will stop the chain from pulling to one side. In a mill that just wears the bar and you end up cutting a wider kerf which takes more power etc etc

Latest posts

Back