Did some milling today with my 361 and small log mill, looking to go bigger...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
t it seemed like it took about a minute or so per cut in a 12" x 8' pine cant. That was with a fresh low-profile chain.
Sounds like lo-pro is the stuff. I have not tried it yet, but might order some tonight.

I'm thankful to the forum for providing knowledge and tips like the lo-pro chain. Then again, this forum has cost me a lot of money. :chainsaw:

Sounds like lo-pro is the stuff. I have not tried it yet, but might order some tonight.

I'm thankful to the forum for providing knowledge and tips like the lo-pro chain. Then again, this forum has cost me a lot of money. :chainsaw:

your not the only one this forum is costing money i went from one electric saw to for gas saws and i mite go pick up a used husky 394 i found for a good deal as well as a snow plow for my truck to clean up al the sawdust i have been making lol

I'll throw in here that "board feet" may not be the best measure of a CSM's performance. We'd be better off measuring "kerf feet" - how much wood is removed. A slab 10 feet long, 12" wide and 1" thick contains 10 board feet of lumber. A board 10' long, 12" wide and 3" thick contains 30 board feet. To cut either slab from a log requires the same amount of cutting work by the saw.
<snip>
I agree, if we want to compare milling speeds we need to calculate in square feet and some sense of hardness.
Some of us just saw EYP, while others like BobL apparently cut stuff slightly softer

than petrified wood.

I have some small (18") logs to cut up and just ordered a 25" 050" bar and roll of lp to run lo pro on my small mill with the 441. I have run it on a 20" bar with a 50 cc homelite before and it cut surprising well.

Last edited:
Well, I just walked out of the dealer with a new 441.:cheers: $765 with a 25" bar and two loops of 33RSC chain was just too good to pass up. Might not be as big as the saws we discussed, but for the small milling I do I think it will be fine, definitely a step up from the 361. I also know it will get a ton of use for general cutting, much more than a 660 or the like would have.

Once I get her broken in I'll put it on my small log mill with my 20" bar and low-pro chain and give it a try. A 24" MKIII mill and a few loops of low-pro chain for the longer bar will be in my future as well.

Well, I just walked out of the dealer with a new 441.:cheers: $765 with a 25" bar and two loops of 33RSC chain was just too good to pass up. Might not be as big as the saws we discussed, but for the small milling I do I think it will be fine, definitely a step up from the 361. I also know it will get a ton of use for general cutting, much more than a 660 or the like would have.

Once I get her broken in I'll put it on my small log mill with my 20" bar and low-pro chain and give it a try. A 24" MKIII mill and a few loops of low-pro chain for the longer bar will be in my future as well.

That's not a bad deal at all; you'd be lucky to get just the saw alone new for under $1000 CDN up here under any circumstances - if I remember right, a 460 is just a shade under $1200 at my dealer. A 24" mill isn't out of the question at all for a 441; they're purportedly noticeably torquier than a 440, too. Just take your time and pay extra attention to saw/chain maintenance to keep it cutting at its best all the time and it should keep you happy. Having said that, I'll be astonished if you don't have a ~90cc milling saw within a year if you spend much time at it!

Having said that, I'll be astonished if you don't have a ~90cc milling saw within a year if you spend much time at it!

Quite possibly, I think I'm slowly coming down with CAD. :ices_rofl:

Whats the consensus on how many tanks of fuel to run through a saw before putting it on a mill, maybe 10? I'm itching to get milling with this thing....

Quite possibly, I think I'm slowly coming down with CAD. :ices_rofl:

Whats the consensus on how many tanks of fuel to run through a saw before putting it on a mill, maybe 10? I'm itching to get milling with this thing....

On my new 880, I bucked 3 tankfulls, and then milled a log, running 3/4 throttle for a ~minute, 1/2 throttle for a minute, idle for a minute and varied that up and down for the whole log. It helped having a tacho on my saw.

Back