Didier splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trouble with didier splitter

Have owned this splitter for about 10 yrs replaced engine last year as well as hoses filter and fresh oil went to split couple days ago was fine for couple hrs then lost most of the pressure to the ram will split small stuff won't split anything bigger than say 8" round thinkn it may be the pump but really not to sure this is an old splitter and has split Any type of wood up to 20" round no prob any input on this issue would be great

Have owned this splitter for about 10 yrs replaced engine last year as well as hoses filter and fresh oil went to split couple days ago was fine for couple hrs then lost most of the pressure to the ram will split small stuff won't split anything bigger than say 8" round thinkn it may be the pump but really not to sure this is an old splitter and has split Any type of wood up to 20" round no prob any input on this issue would be great

Is it leaking oil anywhere?
I just rebuilt mine and the seals on the cylinder disintegrated when it was taken apart!

After running the splitter for awhile shut it off then take off the cap to the fluid tank. If you look into the tank and see a foam on top of the fluid it means you have a leak somewhere that is sucking in air. Trying tightening all you clamps and fittings 1st It could also be a lin hole leak in the suction line from the tank to the pump in which case it sucks in air . Any air in the pump or the hydraulic cylinder will cause the splitter to operate at less than peak efficiency.

Hope that helps

Glad:rock: to see you back Shari

Tom

Thanks - glad to be back - I missed you guys~ :)

If there is anyone still looking for the Didier manuals send me a pm. The hard drive from my old computer survived the hardware crash on my laptop. The computer guru made that hard drive a 'stand alone' so all I have to do now is hook it up to the new computer and I should have all my files back.

Gotta go play with wood today - haven't done that for awhile. I'm feeling lazing about getting out there........ :)

Shari

After running the splitter for awhile shut it off then take off the cap to the fluid tank. If you look into the tank and see a foam on top of the fluid it means you have a leak somewhere that is sucking in air. Trying tightening all you clamps and fittings 1st It could also be a lin hole leak in the suction line from the tank to the pump in which case it sucks in air . Any air in the pump or the hydraulic cylinder will cause the splitter to operate at less than peak efficiency.

Hope that helps

Ok will check it out further thanks

Hmmm...... while 'playing' with some wood today I'm beginning to think my hydraulic tank has reached it's EOL (end-of-life). The cap popped off the tank twice. It feels like maybe the threads are stripped. Dang original equipment from the 1970's - you'd think it would have lasted longer. :)

Shari

Hmmm...... while 'playing' with some wood today I'm beginning to think my hydraulic tank has reached it's EOL (end-of-life). The cap popped off the tank twice. It feels like maybe the threads are stripped. Dang original equipment from the 1970's - you'd think it would have lasted longer. :)

Shari

Shari,
It shouldn't be too hard to replace the tank with another.
All the parts on the Didier machines seem quite exchangeable with contemporary parts.

Didier model 26 cylinder seal kit

hey all I have a spare wards splitter/Dider for sale here in Omaha $ 475, probably take $425 for it. Newer 5hp honda, new return hoses flushed fluid, rebult cylinder, and did some work to push plate, stock is pretty weak. well it works great for smaller stuff and being low makes it much easier to load logs. I will try to load a pic. thanks.

Hi, Where did you get the seal kit to rebuild the cylinder?

Hi, Where did you get the seal kit to rebuild the cylinder?

I brought mine to a hydraulic shop and had them rebuild it for me as I had the end cap with the two holes and couldn't get the cap off myself.
I had them rebuild it, sell me two lengths of hose and two O-rings for the relief switch for a total cost of $82.00
I did get the part numbers from them so if you need them I could email you that info.
Mine is 4" x 24" with a 2" ram

Cylinder Rebuild...

I did get the part numbers from them so if you need them I could email you that info.
Mine is 4" x 24" with a 2" ram

Any chance of obtaining those part numbers for the cylinder rebuild?
I installled a Northern Hydraulics cylinder, but kept my old cylinder. The piston is really scored up, but I may check into the rebuild to have an extra.

Thanks!

Mark

Didier model A20M logsplitter info

Anyone have info on a Dieder model A20M log splitter??? Mine runs fine but not sure what to use for hydralic fluid. This is an old vertical drive motor one
thanks for anything
9-25-2011

[email protected]

Any chance of obtaining those part numbers for the cylinder rebuild?
I installled a Northern Hydraulics cylinder, but kept my old cylinder. The piston is really scored up, but I may check into the rebuild to have an extra.

Thanks!

Mark

Not so sure these will help you out but here is what I have written down from the guy who repaired my Cylinder.
He only wrote down the #'s, no manufacturers. So looking up these parts will be difficult at best.
1. AN-17
1. U18-1.50-37B
1. #236 O-Ring & Back Up
1. #022 O-Ring
1. PSI800-56

That's it.
If it was me, I'd pay someone to rebuild the thing.
When I saw this guy do the job I realized there was no way in hell I would have been able to do the job he did.
And I am no slouch.

I brought mine to a place called Mooradian Hydraulics in 1190 US Rt,9, Castleton, NY. 518-766-3866, I highly recommend this place.

I just realized, If you called them with those parts numbers THEY can sell them to you. Because they wrote the numbers down!
Just make sure we're dealing with the same cylinder.

So I ordered the carb rebuild parts from a local dealer that repairs small engines. There was no "kit", we had to order the parts individually and it's not cheap. It's also taking forever (3 weeks so far and it's still "pending"). So I decided to split some more wood with what I had. I couldn't get it started. I tried everything, including the never-failed-before-technique-of-starting-fluid-on-the-air-filter. Nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, just an occasional "putt-putt", that made you think it was going to start. It was pretty rare though.

So I pulled off the spark plug, cleaned it off, gaped it. Put it back. Nothing. Finally I pulled it out and checked for spark. Nothing. Ah-ha. So I go out and get a new spark plug. Still no spark.

Should I replace the Armature? I can order one through Amazon and not have to deal with the long wait ($30). Or is there something else I can test?

Just to be clear, I take the spark plug out, connect it to the wire and touch the base of the plug to the metal where it goes into the engine. Then holding it there I pull the cord and expect to see a spark. Right?

Brokk...

thats about it, make sure the gap on the armature is close, I use a matchbook cover

So I ordered the carb rebuild parts from a local dealer that repairs small engines. There was no "kit", we had to order the parts individually and it's not cheap. It's also taking forever (3 weeks so far and it's still "pending"). So I decided to split some more wood with what I had. I couldn't get it started. I tried everything, including the never-failed-before-technique-of-starting-fluid-on-the-air-filter. Nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, just an occasional "putt-putt", that made you think it was going to start. It was pretty rare though.

So I pulled off the spark plug, cleaned it off, gaped it. Put it back. Nothing. Finally I pulled it out and checked for spark. Nothing. Ah-ha. So I go out and get a new spark plug. Still no spark.

Should I replace the Armature? I can order one through Amazon and not have to deal with the long wait ($30). Or is there something else I can test?

Just to be clear, I take the spark plug out, connect it to the wire and touch the base of the plug to the metal where it goes into the engine. Then holding it there I pull the cord and expect to see a spark. Right?

Brokk...

thats about it, make sure the gap on the armature is close, I use a matchbook cover

I've never heard of spraying starting fluid on an air filter! I always spray it into the carburetor if I have starting troubles.
Anyway, If you can't get the motor going you might be better off just buying an inexpensive replacement motor like one of these.

Back