diesel race saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gas engines don't run on diesel. I can tell you that first hand.
My step dad put a couple gallons of diesel in his Dodge van about 15-20 years ago. It had enough gas in the tank that it made it to the gas station so I could fill it with high test but BARELY! Foot on the floor about 10mph! If I had to drive another mile, I wouldn't have got there.

Last year, one of the guys at work put fuel oil in a 1 gal gas can. My boss dumped it in the Farm Boss. Long story short, we didn't run it that day!

Diesel 2 strokes are either a back yard experiment, nitro or Detroit. I wouldn't want to hold on to any.

PS. This thread is.. :monkey: .

I wouldn't want to hold it either,but in a mill it just might be the ticket.I know diesel engines outlast gas engines by a long shot and milling is hard on gas saws.And just think of the torque you would have.:jawdrop: No more stalling those saws in the cut.:chainsaw:

a gasoline engine will run on diesel if: the gasoline engine is ran with gasoline to normal operating temperature, or if that engine has a compression ratio of 16:1 or greater in 15:1 compression it will run but not as efficiently...... a personal experience with a 125cc motorscooter and my mom accidentally putting diesel into it after riding it and restarting it and driving it proves it will run on it. BUT! when running on diesel for a while the performance slowly decreases as the engine starts to cool. i have seen people heat the head of a gas motor with a torch then crank it so it runs on diesel.... but anyways i invite all of you that doesn't believe a gasoline engine will run on diesel to come to my place and i will show you how it works.. p.s. the saying diesel runs in gas but gas doesn't run in diesel might come in handy..

a gasoline engine will run on diesel if: ...... a personal experience with a 125cc motorscooter and my mom accidentally putting diesel into it after riding it and restarting it and driving it proves it will run on it. .

yea..had one of those. Was away on a trip and during the nightly check in I was informed the kids CR had a serious issue...was losing power and fouling plugs. Then it was the lawn mower dying next..and then the other kids bike...I was certain I was going to see mechanical carnage when I got home .....kerosene was the guilty culperat. They used all the gas and MIXED what they thought was gas to make two stroke gas for the bikes and dump what was left into the mower....

gas engines on diesel

Briggs and Stratton has built gas engines that were approved to run on kerosene, one I read of required two head gaskets to be installed and the point gap altered to retard the timing. Read about it but never tried it. And yes some of the older John Deeres were dual fuel.

This thread isn't dead yet?????

A diesel race saw will not only stink, it WILL lose. Let the thread die already.

definitions

is a carburator a vaporisor? i saw an antique tractor at a recent international plowing match. it was built to run on crude oil according to the owner. he had to make up fuel for it since he couldn't find a source of crude. it used a "carburator" that had to be preheated with an old style gasoline torch that appeared to be built just for that purpose. he lit the torch which had a vertical flame nozzle and placed it in a holder that was built under the carburator, vaporiser and kept it there until the bowl was red hot. the fuel was then dripped into this bowl just prior to cranking. theoretically this motor could be adapted to a chainsaw but as with the stinking diesel WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO? i suppose if you have no sense of smell and don't mind your motor sounding like it should be shut down immediately before it throws a piston it might be a good idea. personally i'd just as soon not smell like an oil burner mechanic every time i run my saw. good luck with it anyway.

I have a 1947 John Deere M and I can use

gasoline, kerosene, or distillate. I have never tested this, but I would like to run it on kerosene just to see how well it works. I think the compression ratio is on the order of 6:1...it is a two cylinder and is rated at 20hp. It has a one-piece exhaust and intake manifold to heat the incoming air, and has an updraft carb so it will not flood(the extra gas just drips out bottom of carb. It has a 4" bore and 4" stroke(square engine). It will push snow in fourth gear(10-12mph) when warmed up and has a TON of torque. Fast idle is 1850rpm and full load is 1650. I can not speak for diesel.

Last edited:
Gotta luv dredging up old threads!

That'll teach guys who say "Use the Search Function!"

heh..

my grampa had a JD A that ran on distillate. When My dad was a kid, they mixed gas/diesel 50/50 in lieu of distillate.

my friends and I ran a Montego 351C on diesel for about 15mins til it stalled.
the owner drained the tank, added fresh gas, primed it, and said it ran better than ever... seems diesel is a good carb cleaner.

Latest posts

Back