Diesel tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ijon1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
During this cold weather I really wish I had a bigger heated garage. My diesel tractor is not starting. I had water in sediment bowl, and I think that was part of the problem. Just hope we don't get a big snow storm.

During this cold weather I really wish I had a bigger heated garage. My diesel tractor is not starting. I had water in sediment bowl, and I think that was part of the problem. Just hope we don't get a big snow storm.
do you have fuel flowing to the pump now??? crack the line to a injector. fuel when crank??? if not,,start to take connections loose backwards,,till you get fuel flow, then work back forward..the red?? 911, is waaay good stuff,,and will go way forward to the fuel pump, or injection pump,,and stop. you may have to get it inside, to get it warm enough, to melt the water, if it got past the fuel bowl...get some gas,,and a qt spray bottle, and mist in the air cleaner housing,,with the air filter out,while cranking. this will get it started,,and keep misting it,till it runs on the diesel.. empty the qt bottle right after,,and rinse with soapy water,,at the seal in the plunger will go south if you don't........

Also to assist in the future, they make a magnetic heater that you can stick right on the oil pan and plug in to warm the crankcase oil. I used them back in the early 80"s when I didn't have a garage to park in. You could also build a windbreak around it when its; cold and blowing to help break the wind and not rob heat from the crankcase heater and coolant heater.When it gets below zero anything helps. Good luck.

In a pinch you can get a 4' length of stove pipe with 90 degree elbow and insert tiger torch aimed at the oil pan, using caution.
John

Beleive it or not in the 80's when I worked for a diesel repair shop we would get calls to go start semi's that had been turned off to long. -15 F and we would build a windbreak around them. Put a pan of lit charcoal on the top of the front axle beam to warm up the oil. Put the jump box on the batteries and get out an ether can. Boy that was fun:)

A 0w40 or 5w40 synthetic will help turn over faster which is what a diesel needs to start - and also be good for all year round use.

As far as your situation, I would put a magnetic heater on the oil pan - much safer than charcoal or fire. As others have said make sure you have fuel to the injectors.

Well it warmed up to a whole twenty- five today. I went after the tractor with a heat gun and sprayed wd40 in the air intake. Hooked up a spare battery by jumper cables and let her rip. It started to fire and stalled, started and stalled. Kept going and it kept running. Tried to throttle up and stalled. Throttle down and let her run four half hour. Have never added anything to fuel before but I will after this. Also watch my fuel filter for water. My luck finally run out. But glad I got her running. Must have been ice crystals.

Should have treated the fuel prior to it getting cold. You will likely need to replace the fuel filter once it warms back up. If you really need to get it started you could dump 911 in the tank and a little in the filter.

Did you have summer fuel in tank if you did it could jell in cold weather. Fill tank with winter fuel and you might have better luck.

ijon, I have a 4310. I use a 50 gal. transfer tank that I fill about once a year. I put additive in it. Never had a problem since 03'.

Back